Artichokes à la Barigoule
- 25ml/1fl oz olive oil
- 4 pearl onions
- 15g/½oz smoked bacon lardons
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 baby artichokes, outer leaves removed, trimmed
- 4 baby turnips
- 4 button mushrooms
- 4 long baby radishes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, thinly sliced
- 50ml/2fl oz dry white wine
- 110ml/4fl oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 loaf crusty bread, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a small pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Gently fry the pearl onions and bacon for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly coloured.
Add the carrots, artichokes, turnips, mushrooms and radishes and gently fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic. Increase the heat, add the wine and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the volume of the liquid has reduced by half. Add the stock and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the lid, increase the heat to high and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to a thick glaze.
Stir in the chopped parsley and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, spoon the vegetables into a bowl and serve with crusty bread on the side.