Beef curry with jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g/3½oz rib-eye steak, cut into 5cm/2in pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 200ml/7fl oz coconut milk
- 250g/9oz jasmine rice, boiled until tender
- 20g/1oz chopped fresh coriander, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan until almost smoking. Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add to the pan. Brown on all sides, then remove.
Add two of the sliced shallots together with the garlic and cook until softened but not coloured. Add the tomato purée and spices, stir well and cook for one minute.
Put the steak back in the pan and add the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the remaining shallot to the cooked and drained jasmine rice.
To serve, stir the coriander through the curry and serve with the jasmine rice.