Chai-spiced ginger and date tea loaf
Ginger and date-studded sweet dough rippled with a signature blend of sweet Asian spices.
Equipment and preparation: you will need a free-standing mixer fixed with a dough hook.
For the dates
For the dough
- 60g/2¼oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 135ml/4½fl oz full-fat milk, preferably organic
- 60g/2¼oz soft dark brown sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 15g/½oz fast-action dried yeast
- 450g/1lb strong white flour
- pinch salt
- 50g/1¾oz stem ginger in syrup, chopped, plus 2-3 tbsp syrup from the stem ginger for the glaze