Good vegetable soup
The ultimate vegetable soup is a meal in itself, packed full with healthy veggies, spices and aromatics.
This meal, if served as four portions, provides 110kcal, 3g protein, 13g carbohydrate (of which 5g sugars), 14g fat (of which 0.6g saturates), 4g fibre and 1g salt per portion.
For the base ingredients
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil, or 30g/1oz butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
For the aromatics
- 1 bouquet garni
- and/or 1-2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- or 1 tsp or more curry paste or curry powder or spices, e.g. cumin, fennel seeds, cinnamon, etc
For the main ingredients
- 1 potato, or other thickener if needed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g/18oz vegetables, prepared as appropriate and roughly chopped
For the liquid
- 1-1.5 litres/1¾-2¾ pints) vegetable or chicken stock, or vegetable cooking water, or a mixture of water and milk