Kidney bean curry (rajma)
A vegetarian kidney bean curry from my journey through India. One of the surprising things I discovered when I was staying, I have to confess, in nice hotels, was that the cooking in such places was actually very good, even the buffets, where you are presented with, say, twenty curries, the majority of them vegetarian. Rajma would be included in the buffet of every one of those hotels in the north of India, and with dishes like these I would have no problem being a vegetarian.
This meal, if served as eight portions, provides 221kcal, 11g protein, 24g carbohydrate (of which 5g sugars), 7g fat (of which 1.5g saturates), 10g fibre and 0.7g salt.
- 350g/12oz dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight with cold water to cover
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 75g/2½oz fresh root ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 125ml/4fl oz thick Greek-style yogurt