Salty, sour and scrumptious. Make a jar of this piccalilli to perk up a picnic or snazz up a Scotch egg.
- 450g/1lb each pickling onions, peeled, cauliflower florets and de-seeded cucumber and topped and tailed French beans
- 340g/12oz coarse rock salt
- 750ml/1¼ pint white malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp each English mustard powder, ground ginger and ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp whole yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 175g/6oz light muscovado sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- warm large sterilised jam jars with screw tops - prepare jars by washing in hot soapy water and leaving to dry and warm in a cool oven - 130C/250F/Gas ½ for 10-15 minutes.