Poached eggs with wild mushrooms on toast
Perfect as a brunch dish. For great flavour try and use the freshest best eggs you can find. Enjoy all the different flavours from the mushrooms with the sweetness of the brioche.
- 150g/5oz butter
- 4 slices of brioche
- 125ml/4fl oz white wine vinegar
- 3itres/5¼pints water
- 4 eggs
- 2 banana shallots or onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 80g/3oz girolles/chantrelles, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 40g/1½oz trompette de morte, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 55g/2oz oyster mushrooms, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 55g/2oz pied a mouton/bleu, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 tsp freshly chopped, parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a pan. Add sliced brioche and colour on each side for approximately 1 minute. Remove and keep warm.
Add white wine vinegar to the water and boil stir water to create a whirlpool effect.
Crack eggs into separate cups. Pour from the cups into the water and poach for 3 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon.
Add 55g/2oz butter to a hot saucepan and sauté the shallots or onions and garlic.
Now add the cleaned mushrooms and cook over a moderate heat, season and drain (mushrooms contain a lot of water).
Serve the mushrooms on the sliced brioche, top with the poached eggs and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.