Perfect for a lazy weekend, this shakshuka traybake recipe allows you to slowly roast vegetables in the oven while you have a snooze.
Each serving provides 237 kcal, 11g protein, 16.5g carbohydrates (of which 16g sugars), 12g fat (of which 2.5g saturates), 8.5g fibre and 0.3g salt.
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 aubergine, sliced into 15mm/⅝in strips
- 800g/1lb12oz vine tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- flatbreads or pitta breads, warmed, to serve
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
Place the peppers, onion, aubergine, tomatoes, chilli, spices and oil into a large roasting tin. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the vegetables are thoroughly coated in the oil and spices. Roast for 25 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
Using a spatula or slotted spoon, place the roasted tomatoes into a bowl and squash until the consistency of a thick sauce, using a wooden spoon or potato masher. Stir back into the vegetable tin. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Make four indentations in the vegetable mixture. using the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each hole and scatter each with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are just set or cooked to your liking.
Scatter with the coriander and serve immediately with the warmed flatbreads.
For a non-vegetarian version, add some chorizo or 'nduja along with the vegetables.