Slow-cooked tomato and fennel stew with pearl barley
Pearl barley is seriously underrated. It makes a wonderful base for a stew and pairs well with the fennel and cannellini beans. This dish makes a lovely and light dinner.
Each serving provides 496 kcal, 16g protein, 58g carbohydrates (of which 9g sugars), 18.5g fat (of which 2.5g saturates), 16g fibre and 2.5g salt.
- 150g/5½oz pearl barley, rinsed
- 400ml/14fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 600g/1lb 5oz fennel, finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz black olives, stones removed, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 8 large tomatoes on the vine