Spiced cauliflower cheese
Serve this spicy take on cauliflower cheese with spiced pork chops, or just on its own with a big hunk of crusty bread.
- 1 large cauliflower, separated into florets
- glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 lemon, zest and 4 tsp juice
- 100g/3½oz Emmental cheese, grated
- 50g/1¾oz Gruyère cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
Place the florets in salted, boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and place the florets into a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and fennel seeds. Coat the blanched florets thoroughly. Add the red chilli, honey and lemon juice. Coat the cauliflower with the mixture again, being gentle to ensure the florets remain in tact.
Place the cauliflower into a large ovenproof dish. Roast for 15 minutes or so until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the lemon zest and then the cheese. Return to the oven and roast until the cheese is bubbling and has a little colour. Serve.
As soon as the dish comes out of the oven, you could pour some truffle oil over the cheese to give the cauliflower an even deeper earthy note.