Tomato and apple chutney
- 570ml/1 pint malt vinegar
- 450g/1lb soft brown sugar
- 300g/11oz sultanas
- 2kg/4lb 4oz ripe red tomatoes, cut into 6 or 8 pieces
- 500g/1lb 2oz green apples, peeled and chopped
- 400g/14oz shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp root ginger, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the vinegar and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook for three to four minutes until the sugar has melted.
Add the sultanas and cook until just reduced.
Add all the other ingredients, bring to the boil and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Leave the chutney with a chunky texture and not too cooked as that will cause it to be a purée.
Cool the chutney, place into sterilised jars and store for two to three weeks in the fridge.