Tuna ki kara (curried tuna)
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g/2oz onion, halved and cut into very fine half-rings
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 180g/6oz tinned tuna, in oil
- 1 fresh, hot green chilli, cut into very fine rounds
- 1cm/0.5in piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very fine slices, then into very fine strips
- 2-3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chapati or roti, to serve
Put the oil in a non-stick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and garlic.
Fry until the onion turns brown at the edges then add the curry powder and stir once or twice.
Add the tuna and stir gently, breaking up any large lumps.
Turn down the heat to low and add the green chilli, ginger and coriander. Stir.
Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed. Add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
Mix well and turn off the heat.
Serve hot, at room temperature or cold, with chapati or roti breads.