Designed by G Val Myer and built in 1932, Broadcasting House was the BBC's first purpose-built home for radio broadcasting. It is situated in central London between Oxford Street and Regents Park, adjacent to John Nash's All Souls' Church and is Grade II* listed.
Built of Portland stone, with 9 floors above ground and 3 below, its central heavy masonry tower originally contained all the studios. A lighter steel-framed 'shell' provided acoustic buffering.
With its accentuated front section bearing a clock tower and aerial mast, the building has been compared to a ship. The Architectural Review of 1932 described it as the 'new Tower of London'. It is strangely asymmetrical, because Val Myer had to adapt his first plan when local residents complained about the shadow the building would cast on houses in Langham Street, and their loss of natural light.
Artistic commissions adorn the building, notably Eric Gill's statue over the front entrance of Prospero and Ariel (from Shakespeare's last play The Tempest: Ariel as the spirit of the air was felt to be an appropriate personification of the spirit of broadcasting).
The naked Ariel provoked comments about the size of his genitalia, prompting a question in the House of Commons on the offence to public morals caused by the image. It is said Gill was ordered to adjust Ariel's dimensions to more decent proportions by the BBC's first Director-General, John Reith.
There is an additional Gill statue in the Art Deco reception of Broadcasting House. Called The Sower, it is once again a metaphor for broadcasting: as the sower casts seed so does broadcasting cast its messages and communications to its hopefully receptive listeners.
The reinvention of Broadcasting House
Broadcasting House was restored after being bombed twice during the Second World War, and has recently undergone further extensive renovation and extension. New Broadcasting House is now open, and is one of the largest live broadcast centres in the world, with facilities including 36 radio studios, six TV studios and 60 edit/graphic suites. It houses BBC Radio, News and World Service.
A new East wing, built in the same Portland stone as the original Broadcasting House, balances the existing construction. The two buildings are linked by a glass-fronted extension, allowing visitors and passers-by to witness the BBC's daily activities. The glass was specially treated to create varied lighting effects throughout the day.
An integrated lighting scheme for the site also embraces the neighbouring All Souls' Church. The Broadcasting House complex surrounds a new central 'piazza' space, a new public destination in central London, with facilities including a cafe and performance area.
Major artworks were commissioned as part of the new development. These include the new pavement artwork called 'World' and the glass and light 'Breathing' sculpture which stands on the new East wing of Broadcasting House. The latter is an international memorial to reporters and crew who have died while reporting the news.
- Find out more about the Breathing Memorial and the invaluable contribution of those men and women who were murdered or lost their lives in acts of war while working on behalf of the BBC and its audiences.
The birthplace of television
The first purpose-built broadcast centre in the UK
Broadcasting House, Belfast
BBC Northern Ireland's headquarters since 1941
Broadcasting House, Bristol
Home of the Natural History Unit
Broadcasting House, Cardiff
The BBC's first bespoke headquarters in Wales
Home of the World Service 1940-2012
Camden Palace Theatre
Light entertainment and music from North London
Listening to the world, 1943 to 2018
The BBC Television Film Studios
Home of EastEnders
A temporary measure for 42 years
Former home of BBC Research & Development
Sustaining the BBC during World War 2 and after
The best acoustic in London
The BBC's Northern base in Salford
Headquarters of BBC Scotland
Former London cinema which hosted The Beatles and Dad's Army
A hub for drama, entertainment and factual programmes in Birmingham between 1971 and 2004
Queen's House, WC2
Centre of English language learning
A film studio regenerated into a TV studio used by the BBC from 1954 to 1975
The first home of the BBC
The Television Factory
A mecca for the stars of the 1960s
The emergency broadcasting centre