En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés
- Trump seals republican nomination
- IOC to take legal advice on Russia
- Hottest ever June is recorded
Donald Trump has told the Republican National Convention he’s proud to be their nominee for president. In a video message, after being formally confirmed as candidate, Mr Trump said he would win the vote in November and bring real change to Washington.
The International Olympic Committee has said it will explore all legal options before it decides whether to implement a collective ban on all Russian athletes from competing at the Rio games: they start in just three weeks. The IOC has received a damning report into widespread state-sponsored doping in Russian sport, particularly at the Winter Games in Sochi.
Scientists say that last month was the warmest June on record. It’s part of a trend that’s seen temperatures for the first six months of 2016 rise by an average of 1.5 degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial levels. An international climate pact signed last year was intended to stop the world warming up by such a margin.
candidate: person who applies for a job or a post
damning: very critical
trend: general development in a situation
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
candidate / damning / trend
1. Johnny's teacher wrote a __________ report about his behaviour in class. The teenager was suspended from school for a whole month.
2. Mrs Jones did such a good job as a member of parliament that her party thought she was a natural __________ for prime minister.
3. The price of gold in London rocketed yesterday in line with the global __________.
1. Johnny's teacher wrote a damning report about his behaviour in class. The teenager was suspended from school for a whole month.
2. Mrs Jones did such a good job as a member of parliament that her party thought she was a natural candidate for prime minister.
3. The price of gold in London rocketed yesterday in line with the global trend.