Aprende inglés: una semana histórica para Michael Phelps
En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés:
Michael Phelps swims into Olympic history
Scientists find new marine species in Scotland
Scary Lucy statue is replaced in the US
Day four of the Rio Olympics left many wondering why Michael Phelps had ever retired. The most successful Olympian of all time has now won 21 golds in four separate games. His latest came in the 200 metres butterfly and freestyle relay.
Now, they’re the UK’s highest mountains but they are under water. Scientists have returned from an expedition exploring the peaks off the west coast of Scotland. The mission: to log the marine life around them. And I think they’ve discovered many new species.
If you were asked to dedicate a statue to the late actress and comedian Lucille Ball you'd want to capture her beauty, her strong looks and her stylish presence. Unfortunately one sculptor was judged to have failed that test when he unveiled this bronze statue. So a new artist, Carolyn Palmer, was commissioned and this is what she produced for residents in Lucille Ball's hometown in western New York State. The original artist, Dave Poulin, offered to remake it but was turned down.
to make an official record
elegant and fashionable
made public in a ceremony
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
wondering / to log / stylish / unveiled
1. I bought a new watch in France. It's very _________.
2. Mary is bad at sums so I was _________ how on earth she managed to get high marks in the maths test.
3. Any changes made to the schedule will be _________ on the computer.
4. After two months of hard work, the artist was proud to see his masterpiece _________ to the public.
1. I bought a new watch in France. It's very stylish.
2. Mary is bad at sums so I was wondering how on earth she managed to get high marks in the maths test.
3. Any changes made to the schedule will be logged on the computer.
4. After two months of hard work, the artist was proud to see his masterpiece unveiled to the public.