Aprende inglés: Ted, el cantante con Alzheimer que grabó su primer disco a los 80 años
En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés:
Benefits of statins underestimated
'Brangelina' is no more
Karaoke star Ted, 80, lands record deal
A major review of evidence about drugs known as statins has concluded that their benefits have been underestimated and their potential harms exaggerated. The report in The Lancet medical journal says that the anti-cholesterol drugs can cut the risk of strokes and heart attacks in both high risk and low risk patients.
Hollywood’s golden couple – Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie – are to divorce after 12 years together. Mr Pitt says he is very saddened by his wife’s decision to end their marriage. They have six children.
An 80-year-old British man with dementia has become an internet sensation through his carpool karaoke performances with his son. Now Ted McDermott has been signed up by a major record company. Ted has Alzheimer’s and sometimes he struggles to recognise his own family, but his son Simon noticed that singing helped Ted become his old self.
(here) something or somebody very popular
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
potential / saddened / sensation
1. I'm __________ by the news that your grandmother has died. She was a very kind person.
2. Welcome to the company. We think you have a lot of talent and see you as a __________ manager.
3. If you want to be famous, don't lose hope. Today you star on an off-Broadway play; tomorrow you might be a Broadway __________.
1. I'm saddened by the news that your grandmother has died. She was a very kind person.
2. Welcome to the company. We think you have a lot of talent and see you as a potential manager.
3. If you want to be famous, don't lose hope. Today you star on an off-Broadway play; tomorrow you might be a Broadway sensation.