En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés:
Nepal drains dangerous Everest lake
Promising signs for new male contraceptive
New home for thousands of baby turtles
Nepal's army has finished draining a dangerous lake near Mount Everest. Officials say it's the highest drainage project of its kind in the world. The equipment was airlifted up to 5,000 metres for the work. It's vital to protect communities downstream and prevent flooding. Scientists say global warming makes glaciers melt fast and lakes get filled up.
A hormone injection has been shown to be a safe and effective method of contraception for men. Scientists in the US say the jab was almost 96 per cent effective in tests. However, more research is needed as a relatively high number developed side effects, including acne and mood disorders.
Thousands of baby Taricaya turtles have been released into the Peruvian Amazon. The move is part of an effort to save them from extinction after extensive logging and development in the rainforest.
Palabras y definiciones:
transported by aircraft
additional unpleasant results of taking a drug
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
airlifted / side effects / released
1. The suspect was __________ by the police after further investigation of the robbery.
2. Canadian officials are __________ some 8,000 people who fled north of Fort McMurray - the city which has been devastated by a massive wildfire.
3. I have to stop taking these tablets; common __________ include dizziness, headaches and feeling sick.
1. The suspect was released by the police after further investigation of the robbery.
2. Canadian officials are airlifting some 8,000 people who fled north of Fort McMurray - the city which has been devastated by a massive wildfire.
3. I have to stop taking these tablets; common side effects include dizziness, headaches and feeling sick.