En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés:
Trump beats Clinton to take the White House
India's cinema for the homeless
Poetry in a box
One of the most stunning shock results in American political history has seen Donald Trump storm to victory in the race for the White House. The 70-year-old billionaire businessman with no political background will be the 45th president of the United States, shattering the dreams of his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, who had been narrowly ahead in the polls.
There are an estimated 100,000 homeless people living in the Indian capital of Delhi. A few makeshift cinemas are providing some much-needed entertainment and relaxation in the hardship of their lives. They have become a place to socialise and relax. Regular visitors who settle down for a good film include migrant labourers and rickshaw pullers.
Chris Jelley left boxes across Exmoor (in the UK) asking the public to leave poems inside. Inspired by the landscape, 6,000 people wrote verses. Chris says most people would be frightened if they were told to write a poem but he told me that here in the open, with no pressure, they felt more confident and creative.
Palabras y definiciones:
move with force
shattering the dreams
ending the hopes
temporary; usually of poor quality
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
storm to victory / shattering the dreams / makeshift / inspired
1. People in West Java are staying in _________ tents, too afraid to return to their damaged homes following the earthquake.
2. Engineers have built a robotic tentacle, _________ by the limbs of an octopus and aimed at improving surgical operations.
3. Despite injuries and bad weather, South Africa _________ in their one-day international match against Bangladesh.
4. The team lost in the semi-final _________ of the fans and players who were hoping for their first World Cup win.
1. People in West Java are staying in makeshift tents, too afraid to return to their damaged homes following the earthquake.
2. Engineers have built a robotic tentacle, inspired by the limbs of an octopus and aimed at improving surgical operations.
3. Despite injuries and bad weather, South Africa stormed to victory in their one-day international match against Bangladesh.
4. The team lost in the semi-final shattering the dreams of the fans and players who were hoping for their first World Cup win.