Inquest into balloon death girl

Clarice Harron
Image caption Clarice Harron died at her friend's birthday party

The family of a girl from Castlederg who died after choking on a balloon said she was the perfect daughter.

Gerald and Dreena Harron spoke after an inquest into the death of their 10-year-old daughter Clarice.

The inquest heard that she had swallowed the balloon while playing with friends on a bouncy castle at a birthday party in Spamount in November.

The inquest found that she died from asphyxiation caused by an obstruction to her airways.

People at the party and members of the emergency services tried to revive her, but she was pronounced dead when she arrived at Altnagelvin hospital.

"She was our best friend as well as our child," said Mrs Harron.

"We went everywhere together. If you were sick at all she was there to help you."

Mr Harron said he hoped Clarice's death would be a warning to other parents.

"All children love bouncy castles. We'd seen Clarice on bouncy castles before," he said.

"Maybe people will make more of a point now that they are well supervised.

"And definitely no balloons, or any food, anything that would cause them to choke. I wouldn't want anybody else going through what we are going through."

More on this story