Locked out man started flat fire
A man has admitted starting a fire at his girlfriend's flat after she locked him out following a night at the pub.
Paul Traynor, 40, set fire to the landing of Susan Kerr's second floor flat in Dorset Street, Glasgow, in August last year.
Glasgow Sheriff Court heard how the blaze caused major damage and put people's lives in danger.
Sheriff Martin Jones deferred sentence until later this month for reports and Traynor was remanded in custody.
The court heard how chartered surveyor Traynor and Ms Kerr had been drinking at a local pub before the incident.
Ms Kerr returned home alone at about 1930 BST on 22 August 2009 and locked the door, leaving the key in the lock.
Traynor arrived back just after midnight and was heard shouting: "I know you're in there, I know you're not sleeping, let me in."
He then picked up a tea-towel he found on the neighbour's clothes horse and set it on fire using his lighter and held it to the spy hole on Ms Kerr's door.
Sparks and embers then fell on to the clothes horse and it went up in flames.
Traynor shouted for Ms Kerr to get a fire extinguisher but when there was no reply he fled the scene as flames engulfed the landing.
He ran to an area nearby to think on what he had done before returning to the flat where he was arrested by police officers.
Neighbours called emergency services after hearing someone shouting "fire" but no one was injured.
Traynor later admitted culpably and recklessly setting fire to clothing and causing damage to the building.
Sheriff Martin Jones told him: "When the fire took effect you shouted for a fire extinguisher then ran from the building leaving these people particularly your girlfriend in danger."
"This could have had catastrophic results, fortunately for you it didn't."