Dorset

Girl, three, 'steps on needle' at Bournemouth beach

Bournemouth beach
Image caption Bournemouth beach is popular among summer holidaymakers

A three-year-old was taken to hospital by her parents over fears she had stepped on a needle on a Dorset beach.

The girl was playing on Bournemouth beach when her mother noticed a puncture mark on her foot and a needle and syringe on the ground nearby.

She was taken to hospital last Wednesday and is awaiting results from medical tests.

The needle was handed in to Bournemouth Borough Council which has safely disposed of the item.

The authority advised people to alert lifeguards or seafront staff of any dangerous items found on the beach.

Alan Brown, seafront operations manager, said: "A member of the public brought a needle into the beach office where it was put into a sharps box for disposal.

"Needles on the beach are thankfully a rare occurrence."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites