Suffolk

Newmarket flat fire victim named as Ukrainian worker

The scene of the fire
Image caption Police and firefighters were at the scene of the fire in Newmarket

A man who died following a flat fire in Suffolk on Tuesday has been named as Vitaliy Bidula, from Ukraine.

Police said the 28-year-old had been working in Newmarket and was found in the flat in Exeter Road. He was pronounced dead at hospital.

A post-mortem examination concluded the cause of death was smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

Police added the death was not being treated as suspicious and the coroner had been informed.

A joint police and fire service investigation reported it was satisfied there was no third party involvement and the findings will be passed to the coroner.

At its height, 20 firefighters battled flames engulfing the building and the man was found in the bathroom of the first-floor flat.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites