Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Fans jailed after Southampton v Portsmouth FA violence

Police and fans clash near St Mary's stadium in Southampton
Image caption Some fans involved in the violence received banning orders

Twelve football fans have been sentenced for their part in violence in Southampton after the city's FA Cup tie against Portsmouth.

At Southampton Crown Court the men received custodial terms of between nine and 34 months.

All of the men were sentenced for violent disorder.

Bricks, bottles and chairs were thrown outside St Mary's stadium in February after Southampton lost 4-1. More than 250 officers were on duty.

In a bid to stem disorder, city pubs shut for two hours after the game and a metal secutiry barrier was brought in to keep fans apart.

'Simple message'

Two of the 12 offenders, Matthew Hinton, of Hillside Avenue, Southampton, and James Koral, of Haddon Drive, Eastleigh, both aged 20, were detained for 12 months in a young offenders' institution.

Cameron Jordan, 22, of Middle Road, Southampton, was imprisoned for a total of 34 months for affray and violent disorder.

Christopher Paul Stevens, 46, of Stag Brake Close, Southampton, and James Smith, 35, of Brentwood Crescent, Southampton, both received a 12-month custodial sentence.

Michael Byles, 25, of Aldermoor Road, Southampton, was sentenced to 16 months, as was 23-year-old Marcus Bevan, of Warburton Road, Southampton.

Xavier Whyte, 22, of Wilton Road, Southampton, received a 14-month term, while Lewis Buckley, 19, of The Millburns, Romsey, Kevin Medway, 28, of Meggeson Avenue, Southampton, and Stephen Jordan, 49, of Middle Road, Southampton, all received 12 months.

Allan Taylor, 30, of Milton Road, Southampton, was sentenced to nine months.

Nick Hawkins, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "The overwhelming majority of football fans in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are decent people who will have a great time.

"This case shows that by working closely with the police we can bring offenders before court for very serious offences very swiftly and the message from the prosecution team is simple and, that is, don't bother."

Previously, other fans involved in the violence received football banning orders or fines.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites