Beds, Herts & Bucks

Boy ill after being fed laxatives in Hertfordshire park

A three-year-old boy was taken ill after he was fed laxatives in a Hertfordshire park.

The child was playing in Pound Recreation Ground, Hoddesdon, on Thursday afternoon when he was approached by three boys.

The boys gave the laxatives to the child who ate them, thinking they were chocolate.

A police spokesman said a 14-year-old boy has been arrested and bailed in connection with the incident.

The mother was verbally abused when she approached the boys having seen them near her child, he added.

Det Con Ian Minnis said: "Thankfully, the child was not seriously harmed as a result of eating the laxatives, although he was quite ill the next day.

"We are treating this incident very seriously. To give a young child any form of medication not prescribed to them by a doctor could have had disastrous consequences."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites