Black country

Child's lighter play causes fire in Smethwick

A West Midlands house was damaged after a child playing with a lighter caused a blaze, the fire service said.

An adult and five children left the building in Great Arthur Street, Smethwick, where there was a severe fire in a first-floor bedroom.

About half of the first floor of the two-storey terraced house was damaged.

West Midlands Fire Service, which was called at about 1930 BST on Wednesday, said there was no working smoke alarm in the property.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites