Dorset

Dorset refracted light fire fears allayed

Fire chiefs are urging people not to "panic" after previously saying a fire could have started by light reflecting through the windows of a conservatory.

Crews were called to the flat fire in Portland Road, Wyke Regis on Friday.

The fire service initially said sunlight coming through the windows could have been the cause.

But after a number of calls from worried residents the service said it was highly unlikely for fires to start this way.

Dave Myers, from Dorset fire service, said: "While we're pleased that people are contacting us for advice, the chance of a fire being caused through refracted or magnified light through a window is extremely slim.

"It is much more likely to be an electrical fault, overloaded sockets, or flammable materials being left on windowsills for example."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites