BskyB probe: 'It is normal for delays by rivals'

Business Secretary, Vince Cable, has ordered Ofcom to investigate plans by News Corporation to take full control of broadcaster BSkyB.

News Corporation, which is run by Rupert Murdoch, already owns 39 percent of BSkyB but wants to buy up the remaining 61 percent.

The group also owns News International - whose publications the Sun, News of the World, Times and Sunday Times account for a third of the UK's national newspaper circulation.

David Elstein, a broadcasting executive who used to head the programming department at BSkyB, said it was normal for competitors to delay such plans in this way.

  • Published
  • Section
    BBC News