Family BBQ
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

The dark side of the humble barbeque

Most people know about the dangers of fire. But in 2011, a tragic accident was to show the potentially fatal risk posed by charcoal once the flames have gone out.

Roland Wessling and Hazel Woodhams were camping in the UK when they took what they thought was a completely cold, used barbeque into their tent for safe-keeping overnight.

Within minutes, they would become victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

But this was no one-off event.

Around the world, millions of people rely on burning carbon-based fuels in poorly ventilated homes. And an unknown number will be suffering from the effects of inhaling this poisonous gas.

Health Check's Claudia Hammond hears Roland's story and finds out how a chamber traditionally used to help divers can help treat those poisoned by carbon monoxide.

  • 23 Aug 2015
Go to next video: Uganda blood transfusion trial begins