Liquitabs
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Hospital warns parents about liquitabs after children burned

One of Britain's biggest children's hospitals is warning parents of the dangers of liquid tablets used in dishwashers and washing machines after treating some children for near fatal injuries.

Doctors at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow say a number of children have suffered serious injury after mistaking them for jelly sweets. The hospital has admitted five children this year, all under two, who had either bitten into or squeezed the tabs.

When liquid was swallowed, a tube had to be inserted to aid breathing until swelling in the airways was treated. The children suffered chemical burns to their eyes or throats.

Dr Lyndsay Fraser, from the hospital's ear nose and throat unit, said: "We have known for some time about the risk of eye injuries from kids squeezing these liquitabs until they burst.

Eleanor Bradford reports.

  • 06 Sep 2012