Litvinenko inquiry hears of 'dangerous' post-mortem
The public inquiry into the death of former KGB spy Alexander Litvinenko, has been told that his post-mortem examination was "one of the most dangerous ever undertaken in the western world".
A pathologist, Dr Nathaniel Cary, said the body was "very hazardous" and had to be transferred to a secure site for tests.
He added: "It appears Mr Litvinenko ingested a large quantity of polonium-210 on or around 1 November 2006, largely if not wholly by oral ingestion, rather than by inhalation. The calculated amount absorbed was in far excess of known survivability limits."
Mr Litvinenko died as a result of radiation poisoning in London in 2006.
Richard Galpin reports from the Royal Courts of Justice.
28 Jan 2015