An 82-year-old man who was bitten by a poisonous spider will have part of his finger amputated.
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Malvern man loses end of finger in spider bite

An 82-year-old man who was bitten by a spider while he slept will have part of his finger amputated.

Derek Phillips, from Worcestershire, was woken by a "throbbing pain" in his left index finger and spent five days in Worcester Hospital's isolation ward.

Doctors told him he had been bitten by a poisonous spider but experts in the field said non-venomous bites could also result in infections.

"I would love them to take it off it's so damn painful," said Mr Philips of his planned surgery at Kidderminster Hospital.

  • 21 Apr 2016