Destroyed house in Twickenham
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Family warn over Twickenham house fire 'caused by Nutella jar'

A family have issued a warning after their home was destroyed and their dog was killed in a blaze caused by sunrays shining through a glass jar of Nutella chocolate spread.

The fire started when low winter sunlight was refracted by the jar which was being used to collect loom bands, London Fire Brigade said.

The family's Jack Russell Chilli was trapped inside the flat in Twickenham, south-west London, and died.

Declan Murphy, who lived at the house, said: "You can't have anything on your window sill otherwise you'll end up with a house like mine and really I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone."

BBC London's Katharine Carpenter spoke to Mr Murphy and Dave Robinson, from London Fire Brigade.

  • 24 Feb 2015