Students flee blaze at high-rise flats
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Manchester students flee fire in high-rise accommodation

A large fire that left hundreds of students fleeing a high-rise accommodation block may have been started deliberately, police believe.

The blaze broke out at the Unite Students Parkway Gate halls in Manchester at about 22:45 BST on Monday.

Residents were evacuated while firefighters tackled the fire, which started in a ground floor storeroom.

Several students claimed they had not heard fire alarms sound.

A spokesman for Unite Students said: "We are aware of claims that some alarms worked and others didn't. We are investigating these claims alongside Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service."

  • 17 Oct 2017