Gardeners potting plants
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Gardeners warned of Legionnaires' risk in compost

Gardeners in Scotland have been warned to wash their hands after handling compost following a spate of cases of a rare form of Legionnaires' disease.

Over the past five years, one person has died and five others have become ill after contracting a strain of Legionella linked to compost.

Experts think the victims inhaled Legionnaires' from water droplets in compost. BBC Scotland's health correspondent Eleanor Bradford reports.

  • 28 May 2012