10 things we didn't know last week
1. There is one female beer inspector in the UK (and 39 men).
2. The Dalai Lama carries round "little treasures" in a bag - they are in fact Werther's Originals.
3. When a person's age ends with a nine they are more likely to seek extramarital affairs, sign up for their first marathon, and run marathons faster than when they were slightly older or slightly younger.
4. Eels can use their electric discharges to remotely control the fish they hunt.
5. A commercial jumbo jet is a more equal place to be than America if you compare space provision on a plane with income distribution.
6. In England, heavy drinking during pregnancy is not a crime against the unborn child.
7. Waxworms - the larvae of wax moths - can break down plastic.
8. One of the males in the royal lineage was probably cuckolded between the reign of Richard III and the 5th Duke of Beaufort.
9. It's quicker - by about three hours - to read the Hobbit than watch Peter Jackson's movie trilogy.
10. IS fighters in Syria have a weakness for Red Bull and Pringles.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek
Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.