Newspaper headlines: 'Historic' immigration shake-up and Brits glamour

Home Secretary Priti Patel meets students and staff working on "carbon capture" at Imperial College London in South Kensington, London Image copyright PA Media
Image caption Home Secretary Priti Patel is unveiling the new immigration plans on Wednesday

The papers dedicate significant column inches to the government's post-Brexit immigration plans for a points-based system.

"Priti makes her points," is the Sun's headline as all the papers dedicate coverage to the government's post-Brexit immigration plans.

The Daily Express welcomes Ms Patel's efforts to "cut migrant numbers".

In an editorial for the newspaper, the Conservative immigration minister Kevin Foster, writes that the new system will be "firmer and fairer" and will allow the UK to "flourish".

However, the paper also points out that a plumber, with good English and a £24,000 a year contract, would be blocked from entering.

In a comment piece for the Daily Mail, David Goodhart - from centre-right think-tank Policy Exchange - says the government is finally responding to "popular instruction" after three years of parliamentary "dithering".

The paper adds that the rules represent the "biggest shake-up" of border guidance since 1973.

The Guardian highlights concerns from those involved in industries including transport and warehousing, food processing and tourism regarding the immigration plans.

Sally Gilson from the Freight Transport Association tells the paper that the arbitrary level for skills and salary should be changed so they are based on "what the country needs".

The union Unison says the proposals spell "disaster for the care sector".

But Ms Patel is quoted on the front of Metro as saying employers will simply "have to adjust".

The i newspaper describes the points-based system as the UK "closing the door" to low-skilled migrant workers.

But the paper also carries quotes from the group Migration Watch UK, which believes the measures prove the government is "not serious" about taking control of immigration.

The campaigners cite the fact that British people will still face competition for jobs - in some cases from "overseas workers from much poorer countries".

Elsewhere in politics, the Guardian carries an interview with the Labour deputy leadership candidate, Dawn Butler.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Dawn Butler is among the candidates going for the Labour deputy leadership

In it, she claims she is mistaken for black female colleagues "at least once a week".

The BBC was forced to apologise to Ms Butler earlier this month, after she was incorrectly identified as the Battersea MP Marsha de Cordova on the Parliament channel.

Ms Butler adds that it is an "exhausting battle" to be correctly named.

Floods

"A floody disgrace" is the Daily Mirror's take on Boris Johnson's response to the flood damage caused by Storm Dennis.

Image copyright PA Media
Image caption Rescue workers lifted a woman to safety in the village of Whitchurch

The paper quotes mother-of-three Tracey Newman who found her home near Cardiff "knee deep" in water.

She describes Mr Johnson's no-show in flood-hit communities as "unbelievable" - adding that she called up the government's emergency fund and was offered £80.

Downing Street said the prime minister was "fully engaged" with recovery efforts.

Meanwhile, the Daily Telegraph reports that Lord Steel is to be expelled from the Liberal Democrats for his handling of sexual abuse allegations against the former Rochdale MP, Cyril Smith.

The paper says that a report from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse will "castigate" the former party leader when it is published next week.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Lord Steel gave evidence to the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse last year

Friends of the peer believe that he will become a "scapegoat" in order to justify the huge cost of the inquiry. The Liberal Democrats have declined to comment.

No 10 adviser

"Aide exit marks first weirdos and misfits failure" is the headline in the Financial Times, as Dominic Cummings' role as the prime minister's chief adviser continues to come under scrutiny.

Days after Andrew Sabisky was forced to leave his role as a "super-forecaster" for his views on eugenics and race, the paper concludes that despite wanting to bring "unconventional minds" into the heart of government, Mr Cummings' strategy is not "entirely immune" to traditional political norms.

Meanwhile, a senior government source has told the Times that Mr Sabisky was not vetted for his role at Number Ten and attended meetings with Boris Johnson and defence officials.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption The Daily Mail reports on the latest on Prince Harry and Meghan stepping back as senior royals

The Daily Mail reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been told they must drop "royal" from their "Sussex Royal" branding.

Following what has been described as "lengthy and complex" talks, the couple have been told to "rebrand" - which will include changing their website and Instagram account.

This decision has come about because of the Queen's long-held conviction that working members of the royal family should not profit from their positions.

But a report in the Daily Mirror suggests Prince Harry and Meghan could be in line to earn up to £1bn by appearing at next year's World Economic Forum in Davos.

The paper predicts the couple will be "star guests" at the summit.

"Senior royals shun Andrew's 60th bash," is the headline in the Daily Express.

Citing his relationship with the disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, the paper reports that Prince Andrew will celebrate by holding a meal with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson and their two children, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie in Windsor.

Ms Ferguson has reportedly had to send extra invites because a group of old friends found they were busy and unavailable.

Get news from the BBC in your inbox, each weekday morning

And the Times reports that a new offside rule could be implemented before this summer's Euro 2020 football championships.

The move - which is being proposed by the former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger in his role at the world governing body, Fifa - would only see an offence committed if there was daylight between the attacker and the defender.

The Daily Mirror suggests this change in law could solve what it describes as the "VAR nightmare".