Money worries can mount at Christmas if people ignore their insurance cover, according to the financial ombudsman.
Issues surrounding insurance dominate a list of festive tips from the service which deals with complaints that cannot be settled between consumers and insurers.
Advice includes checking insurance policies for cover about high-value gifts and Christmas accidents.
About a million people a year go to the ombudsman to settle financial disputes.
The seasonal tips include:
- Ensuring high-value presents are covered by contents insurance in case they are stolen or damaged before Christmas
- Taking car keys from a car when de-icing - as theft might not be covered if they are left in the ignition
- Checking travel insurance for details of cover before a Christmas getaway
- Ensuring presents and food shopping are not left in full view in a vehicle
- Checking contents insurance if taking an extended Christmas break, as some have a time-limit on an empty home
- Finding out if accidental damage such as breakages and spillages are only available as add-ons to policies
Other tips including checking deadlines for interest-free credit, and keeping an eye on regular payments which might be forgotten during the festive period.