UKIP beheading threat: Man charged over alleged call to David Robinson-Young
A man has been charged in connection with an alleged threat to behead a UKIP candidate in Newcastle.
Aftab Ahmed has been charged with threats to kill after David Robinson-Young claimed he received a phone call from a constituent complaining about the Middle East.
The 44-year-old, of Winchcombe Place, Heaton, is due to appear before Newcastle magistrates on Thursday.
Mr Robinson-Young, 62, is standing in Newcastle East.
The candidates for Newcastle-upon-Tyne East are:
- Nicholas Brown (Labour)
- Duncan Crute (Conservative)
- Andrew Gray (Green)
- Paul Phillips (Trade Union and Socialist Coalition)
- David Robinson-Young (UK Independent Party)
- Susan Stevenson (Communist Party of Britain)
- Wendy Taylor (Liberal Democrat)