Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

By Mary O'Connor, Claire Heald, Harriet Agerholm, Katie Wright and Thomas Mackintosh

All times stated are UK

  1. 'Priority' to rule out further threats to public

    Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu adds police are making "extensive enquiries" to ensure no one else is involved.

    He says the "investigative priority" for officers is to ensure no-one else is related "as an outstanding threat to the public".

  2. BreakingMet Police: 'No evidence' to suggest anyone else involved

    Met Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu

    Outside Scotland Yard, Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu says police have found "no evidence" to suggest anyone else is involved in yesterday's stabbing attack at London Bridge.

    Mr Basu, the UK's head of counter-terrorism, tells reporters that officers have been conducting two searches in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent in connection with the incident.

  3. Patel responds to Cooper over Khan's release

    The Home Secretary tweets...

    Home Secretary Priti Patel has responded to Labour's Yvette Cooper on Twitter after Ms Cooper questioned how Usman Khan could have been released after he was "thought to be so dangerous" he was given a sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP).

    In one of a string of tweets, Ms Copper questioned how it could be "allowed to happen" that after receiving the IPP sentence "[Khan] was released six years later without Parole Board assessment".

    Ms Patel responded: "Because legislation brought in by your government in 2008 meant that dangerous terrorists had to automatically be released after half of their jail term.

    "Conservatives changed the law in 2012 to end your automatic release policy but Khan was convicted before this."

    View more on twitter
  4. Corbyn: Attack 'a complete disaster'

    Jeremy Corbyn

    Jeremy Corbyn has called the London Bridge attack "a complete disaster".

    Speaking earlier in Mytholmroyd, West Yorkshire, he said: "There has got to be a very full investigation.

    "Clearly there has been a complete disaster in that lives have been lost because of his (attacker Usman Khan's) behaviour."

    The Parole Board earlier said it had no involvement in Khan's release from prison in December 2018 and it appeared he had been released on licence automatically.

    The Labour leader - who was addressing Labour members - said there were now questions about the actions and roles of both the Parole Board and the probation service.

    Mr Corbyn also said Khan "clearly was a danger to society" and asked: "What happened in prison? Was he given a deradicalisation programme or not?

    "I don't know the answer to those questions, we need to all know the answer to those questions urgently."

  5. Prisoner who intervened 'not a hero' - murder victim's family

    A convicted murderer who intervened in the London Bridge attack should not be described as “a hero", his victim's family has told BBC News.

    James Ford, who killed Amanda Champion in Ashford, Kent, in 2003, was on day release and had been attending the same prisoner rehabilitation event as attacker Usman Khan.

    He helped in the aftermath of Friday's attack.

    Ms Champion’s aunt Angela Cox said: “Yes, he did something nice, but that doesn’t make up for what he has done.

    “He’s not a hero, and he never will be.”

    Mrs Cox said she was phoned by a Kent Police family liaison officer on Friday and informed that Ford had been granted temporary release.

    “We didn’t know that that man was walking the streets,” she said. “Any member of my family could have been in that area at the time.”

  6. 'Considerable amount of police activity' at Stafford property

    Police at a block of flats in Wolverhampton Road, Stafford.
    Image caption: Police outside a three-storey block of flats in Wolverhampton Road, Stafford.

    Liz Copper, reporting from Stafford where a block of flats is being searched, says there has been a "considerable amount of police activity" at the property as officers from the Met join Staffordshire Police.

    "It’s quite a large property, it’s all cordoned off," she says."We don't know what connection, if any, there is to (Usman) Khan here, but there is certainly a good deal of police activity.

    "And of course Khan is very much on the radar of authorities here in Staffordshire following his conviction in 2012 and his release subsequently on licence.

    “I think there will be questions, not just in London, but also questions here in Staffordshire about the terms of that licence and also how he was being monitored.”

  7. Watch: Attacker in 2008 says 'I ain't no terrorist'

    Video content

    Video caption: London Bridge attacker in 2008: 'I ain't no terrorist'

    Speaking to the BBC in 2008 the man who carried out Friday's London Bridge attack denied being a terrorist.

    Usman Khan was speaking after his address was raided by anti-terror police in 2008. He later admitted being involved in a terrorist conspiracy.

    In 2012 he was sentenced to indeterminate detention for "public protection" with a minimum jail term of eight years.

  8. BreakingMan who tackled terrorist was plain-clothes police officer

    A man who helped tackle terrorist Usman Khan, and who was pictured removing a knife from the scene, was a plain-clothes British Transport Police officer, the force said.

    Chief Constable Paul Crowther, of British Transport Police, said: "This morning I spoke with the British Transport Police officer who bravely ran towards danger yesterday afternoon.

    "The courageous actions he took when faced with the horrors of this attack are remarkable.

    "He, as well as other members of the public, should be extremely proud of what they did to stop this man on London Bridge."

  9. BreakingInjured victim's condition has improved - NHS

    The condition of a London Bridge victim who was critically injured has improved, NHS chief executive Simon Stevens said.

    "While three people remain in hospital, this means two are now stable and a third has less serious injuries," he added.

  10. BBC: PM's appearance on Marr in public interest

    Andrew Neil and Boris Johnson

    Returning to the election campaign, we have more on Boris Johnson appearing on Sunday's Andrew Marr Show.

    There were reports that the BBC had told the PM he would not be allowed on Sunday's show unless he also agreed to be interviewed by Andrew Neil.

    Mr Johnson has so far refused to commit to a one-to-one with Mr Neil - who has already grilled other party leaders.

    Labour called the BBC's move to allow the PM on the Marr show "shameful".

    The BBC said in a statement that as the national public service broadcaster its first priority "must be its audience".

    Read more here.

  11. Watch: London mayor's concerns

    Video content

    Video caption: Sadiq Khan shares his message to Londoners after last night's terror attack.

    London Mayor Sadiq Khan has told BBC Radio 5 Live that he is 'concerned' about the amount of resources available to supervise dangerous people.

    The man who carried out the stab attack at London Bridge on Friday, named by police as Usman Khan, had previously been jailed for terrorism offences.

  12. Recap: What's happened today?

    What we have learnt today following Friday's attack at London Bridge?

    • University of Cambridge graduate Jack Merritt, 25, has been named as one of the two victims
    • Mr Merritt was a course coordinator for the Learning Together programme which was hosting a conference at Fishmongers' Hall attended by Usman Khan, who carried out the attack
    • It emerged that Khan was released on licence from prison in December 2018, and his conditions required him to wear an electronic tag to monitor his movements.
    • Khan had links to Cardiff, having plotted with a group from Stoke-on-Trent, London and Cardiff, to attack pubs in Stoke and the London Stock Exchange
    • Prime Minister Boris Johnson visited the scene of the attack at London Bridge accompanied by the Home Secretary Priti Patel.
    • Speaking after the visit, he said people convicted of terrorism offences should not be put on early release.
    • Police continued searching an address in a three-storey block of flats in Stafford, where Khan was believed to have lived
  13. Picture: Jack Merritt

    Jack Merritt

    Jack Merritt, a Cambridge graduate, was a course coordinator for the rehabilitation programme that was running at Fishmongers' Hall.

    His father said he was a "beautiful spirit".

  14. BreakingVictim named as Jack Merritt

    One of the victims of the London Bridge attack has been named as Jack Merritt, a University of Cambridge graduate.

    He was a course coordinator for the prisoners’ rehabilitation programme that was hosting a conference at Fishmongers' Hall in London Bridge.

  15. Sturgeon: Robust response needed

    Nicola Sturgeon

    Speaking a short while ago after a rally in St Andrews, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon responded to the London Bridge attack, saying: "There are no words really to do justice to the way everybody feels in the aftermath of a horrific attack like this."

    She said her thoughts were with everyone affected, particularly with the families of those who died.

    There were some "exceptional acts of individual bravery", she said.

    "At a time when people are confronted with the worst of humanity we were also witnessing the very best of it and our emergency services as always rise to the challenge," she said.

    She also said there needed to be a "robust response" to such attacks and lessons needed to be learned.

  16. Support for people affected by attack

    Grab of government website

    The government has updated its website with details of the support available to people affected by the London Bridge attack.

    The page lists contact and website details to help "victims, witnesses and those affected".

    It says the Support for Victims of Terrorism website has information on where to seek advice and assistance, while Victim Support can offer free and confidential help and support by telephone on 08 08 16 89 111.

  17. Swinson questions prisoner releases

    Jo Swinson

    Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has praised the courage and bravery of the people who tackled the London Bridge attacker - but says there are now questions to be asked about the release of convicted terrorists.

    Referring to the revelation that Usman Khan had been freed from prison on licence when he launched his attack, she says: "I want to us to understand the details of this and the questions that need to be asked about how decisions are made on release and how risks are assessed on that basis.

    "That is clearly something that needs to be done well."

  18. Security 'enhanced' after 2017 attack

    The London Bridge assailant was shot dead by an officer from City of London Police and its commissioner says the force had "taken lessons" from their response to the terror attack in the same area in June 2017.

    Ian Dyson says his force has enhanced its firearms capability.

    "We are also working on enhanced medical and first aid training. You will see from the bridge the physical barriers that have been put in place since the attack of two years ago."

    In 2017, three attackers were shot dead by police after they had killed eight people on London Bridge and in nearby Borough Market.

    In a statement Commissioner Dyson adds: "It is with great sadness that I find myself speaking again about a tragic terrorist attack in the City.

    "As in 2017, I must praise the actions of members of the public – in Fishmongers' Hall and on the bridge – who courageously fought with the attacker and apprehended him. I am also proud to praise the professionalism and speed shown by the City of London police officers who arrived first at the scene and shot the suspect, without a thought for their own safety."

  19. Roads to remain closed for some time

    Ian Dyson

    Roads around the scene of Friday's attack remain shut but City of London Police Commissioner Ian Dyson says the cordon is slowly being lifted.

    He says: "We had to cordon-off and lock down a significant part of the City. We are slowly bringing those areas back to normality,

    "There is a lot of forensic work going on and it will be some time before the entire scene is released, but we are looking where we can bring parts of the City back into life so that Londoners can continue their business."

    He adds: "The last thing I want is to disrupt London... We are keeping it as tight as we can. We have already moved some of the cordons on the south side of the river.

    "As soon as we can release the scene we will do, but I urge everyone to understand this is a very complex scene.

    "There are people who have died at the scene and we need to make sure we carry out that proper, thorough investigation."