Two tortoises and a bird have died in a fire thought to have been started by a heat lamp in Basildon, Essex's Fire Service says.
Two crews were called to Montsale at 07:12 this morning following reports of a fire in a property's conservatory.
"Fortunately we were passing through the area at the time of the call so managed to arrive almost immediately and begin tackling the fire," said watch manager Kevin Colby.
"As well as extinguishing the fire we saved a bearded dragon and two dogs, but unfortunately two tortoises and a bird died at the scene."
The fire was started when items piled on top of the heat lamp caught light, the service said. The cause has been recorded as accidental.