A bedridden man died in Kingston after suffering a seizure and dropping a cigarette on to his bedclothes engulfing the room in a "predictable and preventable" fire. The incident was revealed in a Safeguarding Adult Report which was discussed by Kingston Council this week. The 61-year-old man who was largely bed-bound and partly paralysed, died at his home in New Malden in October 2016, after suffering a seizure and dropping a lighted cigarette. A review into his death released by Kingston Council found there "should have been an awareness across agencies" that he was at a risk of fire because he liked smoking in bed, he had no fire extinguisher accessible to him or working smoke alarm, and because his carers were using paraffin-based product on his skin. Skin creams containing paraffin have been linked to dozens of fire deaths . While the seizure could not have been predicted or prevented, the inquiry states "the causation of the fire was predictable and preventable and there are clear lessons to be learned by involved agencies to improve systems and practice in risk management." A Kingston Council spokesperson said: "The Kingston Safeguarding Adults Multi-Agency Board have learnt lessons from this sad and tragic case. "A thorough review by an independent practitioner was undertaken and their recommendations have been introduced. "This includes GPs and Pharmacists being more aware of prescribing certain medications and creams which are at risk to fire safety."