Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

Thomas Mackintosh and Chirag Trivedi

All times stated are UK

  1. Jury sent home for the day

    The 12 jurors have been sent home for the day while the prosecution and defence barristers talk about matters of the law and the last of the agreed facts.

    The court will resume tomorrow at 12:00 GMT.

  2. Live evidence finished - what happens next

    Thomas Mackintosh

    BBC London News

    Now that all of the live evidence has been completed, the jury will hear a few more agreed facts between the prosecution and the defence.

    After that, the jury will hear closing speeches from the prosecution and defence barristers - this is where they will each put forward their final arguments.

    Then Judge Wendy Joseph QC will summarise the evidence during the trial and will issue instructions to the jury about the law.

    After that, the jury will retire to consider their verdict, which, at least initally, must be unanimous - i.e. all 12 jurors agreed.

    If there is a guilty verdict, sentencing may take place straight away, or it may be postponed to allow the judge to consider reports from the probation service and other experts.

  3. 'Annoyed and angry that my best friend blamed me for murder'

    crime scene

    Questioned by his barrister Natasha Wong QC, the teenager said he was "annoyed" and "angry" his "best friend" Svenson Ong-a-Kwie was blaming him for the murder of Jodie Chesney.

    He said: "I was aware that 16-year-old boy said Svenson was going to do it [blame me].

    "There was anything he could have said.

    "We walked into the park but I did not think he would actually blame me.

    "I would not say there is a leader between our friendship, we are good pals."

  4. Prosecution finishes cross-examination

    Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC has finished his cross-examination of the 17-year-old defendant.

    He is now facing a few more questions from his defence barrister Natasha Wong QC who is re-examining her client.

    View more on twitter
  5. 'He could have owned up to Jodie Chesney's murder'

    crime scene

    Crispin Aylett QC said a defence statement for the 17-year-old was served around July.

    The teenager accepted he was in Amy's Park but did not want to name the person he was with in the park at the time Jodie Chesney was stabbed in the back.

    Mr Aylett asked why he did not want to name Svenson Ong-a-Kwie as the other person in the park.

    "I had heard he was pinpointing it," the boy replied.

    "I also was not trusting him 100%. I was being told he was going to point the finger at me, but I still wasn't sure.

    "He could have owned up to it - you never know."

  6. 'Svenson was trying to blame me'

    Feltham YOI

    After being charged with the murder of Jodie Chesney, the 17-year-old was remanded into Feltham Young Offenders' Institute (YOI).

    He was remanded alongside the 16-year-old defendant in the same prison and the teenager said he was told that. "Svenson was trying to blame me".

    The teenager said he wanted his friend to ask Svenson Ong-a-Kwie's girlfriend if this was the case.

  7. 'I was arrested and bailed again'

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie was charged on 10 March. But the 17-year-old was released under investigation and later charged in May, Crispin Aylett QC told the court.

    The teenager accepted he knew the police "could show" he was with Mr Ong-a-Kwie, but despite this he kept making "no comment".

    He denied he was "scared" of Mr Ong-a-Kwie.

    Mr Aylett said: "You were released again and stopped signing on at the police station. You moved addresses. Why did you do that?"

    The teenager replied: "In between that time I was in a stolen car in Colindale and then I was put on bail.

    "They realised I had breached a bail condition [in relation to Jodie Chesney's murder] so when they looked at me I ran."

  8. 'Jodie was there minding her own business'

    Jodie Chesney

    While being in police custody, the teenager said he made several "no comment" answers to questions which were put to him.

    These questions included what the teenager was doing on 1 March, did he have any involvement in Jodie Chesney's murder and whether the 17-year-old knew what the term murder meant.

    "You knew perfectly well what they meant," Crispin Aylett QC said.

    "Yes I did," the defendant replied.

    Mr Aylett continued: "Det Con Carter said, 'This case is unusual because there is not much of a motive. She was sitting there minding her own business, do you know why she was stabbed?'"

    The teenager said he replied, "no comment" because he was, "following legal advice".

  9. 'I told a load of lies during my police interviews'

    Crime scene

    The teenager accepted he got rid of the clothes he wore on the night Jodie Chesney was stabbed "but not his hat".

    Manuel Petrovic was the first of the group to be arrested and the teenager said he was aware of this having seen the news on a television bulletin.

    The 17-year-old said: "It said a suspect had been arrested in relation to the case."

    Crispin Aylett QC then asked if the teenager was aware of the 16-year-old defendant being arrested - to which he agreed.

    Referring to the 17-year-old's arrest he agreed with Mr Aylett's points that he threw away his rucksack and admitted he "told a load of lies" during his police interviews.

  10. 'Svenson told me twice that he had messed up'

    flowers at the crime scene

    While in Lawns Park, the teenager said Svenson Ong-a-Kwie told him twice that he had "****** up".

    "He didn't want to speak no more so we just left it at that," the teenager said.

    The 16-year-old accepted he let Mr Ong-a-Kwie stay at his house despite "being left in the dark at how he had messed up".

    Mr Aylett made reference to fresh clothes which were brought by Manuel Petrovic to Lawns Park for the teenager and Mr Ong-a-Kwie.

    The teenager said he had no recollection of Mr Ong-a-Kwie mentioning anything about "having a madness".

    Mr Aylett continued: "Back at your home one of the girls you were with said something about a 17-year-old girl being stabbed."

    "I don't remember," the teenager replied. "I had gone to sleep on the sofa."

  11. 'I realised someone had got stabbed but not sure'

    Amy's park crime scene

    Crispin Aylett QC has resumed by talking about the moments after Jodie Chesney was stabbed in the back and what was said when the group were back in the car while the vehicle was "speeding away".

    He asked: "Svenson claims you said you thought you had stabbed Tashinga?"

    "That's not correct," the teenager replied.

    Later that evening the teenager and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie were dropped off at Lawns Park, in Collier Row, and he told the jury he saw Mr Ong-a-Kwie "drop a knife".

    "What did you realise had happened?" Mr Aylett asked.

    The teenager replied: "That someone got stabbed. I was not too sure who.

    "I could not tell you who the candidates were, who Svenson stabbed."

  12. Jury back into court - teenager continues to give evidence

    The 12 jurors are now back into court after their mid-morning break.

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC has called the 17-year-old defendant from the dock to the witness box to finish his evidence.

    There are 16 people, including members of Jodie Chesney's family, up in the public gallery watching the rest of the proceedings today.

  13. Jury sent for mid-morning break

    The 12 jurors have been sent for their mid-morning break.

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC has adjourned the trial until midday.

    Crispin Aylett QC will continue his cross-examination of the 17-year-old defendant after the break.

  14. 'Neither of you said anything about the screams'

    Eddie Coyle
    Image caption: Eddie Coyle arriving at the Old Bailey earlier in the trial

    After Jodie Chesney was stabbed in the back she fell into the arms of her boyfriend Eddie Coyle (pictured).

    The teenager said he "did not see Jodie fall to the ground" but instead ran after he heard "screams".

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie and the teenager ran back to Manuel Petrovic's car on Retford Road.

    Crispin Aylett QC asked the teenager: "Neither of you said anything and Manuel sped off.

    "Nobody said anything in that car about the screaming?"

    The teenager replied: "Yes, that's correct."

    Video content

    Video caption: CCTV shows Manuel Petrovic's Vauxhall driving away from Harold Hill
  15. 'We did not creep up on Jodie and her friends'

    crime scene

    The teenager denied he and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie were "creeping up" on Jodie Chesney and her friends.

    "You don't start waving and talking to strangers," he told the court.

    Crispin Aylett QC asked the teenager: "It was Svenson who stabbed Jodie in the back?"

    "Yes that's correct," the teenager said adding that he "did not see" Jodie be stabbed in the back.

    The boy added: "I did not have to meet no customer. There was no reason for me to go up to the group

    "I started running after I heard the scream.

    "I looked at the group, saw Svenson and I was not paying attention to the group.

    "I did not get close enough to see what gender they were. They were just a group of people".

  16. 'I could see outlines of a group in the park'

    crime scene

    As the car got to Amy's Park, the teenager and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie got out of the vehicle and went into the park.

    Mr Aylett asked the 17-year-old boy why he got out of the car.

    "There is no actual reason for it," he said. "I had been with Svenson all day.

    "I hadn't been with Manuel, Svenson said 'two minutes', so I thought I'd get out.

    "I was sitting behind Manuel."

    The teenager said he did not see anything glinting in his hand, did not see a knife and he was not wearing a bandanna or a scarf over part of his face.

    "I could see outlines of a group in the park," the teenager told the jury.

    "A group of four or five. There were two of us. It could have been anyone.

    "I was not nervous, every shot [drug deal] could be a set up."

  17. 'Svenson was directing Manuel Petrovic where to go'

    Crime scene

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie was "directing" Manuel Petrovic where to drive, the teenager told the court.

    He denied hearing anyone say the group were going to Amy's Park while in the black Vauxhall Corsa.

    Crispin Aylett QC asked: "You ended up going into Retford Road, what did you think was going on?"

    "I don't know," the teenager replied. "It's just a route we might have been taking."

    The boy said he had never done a drug deal in Amy's Park before.

  18. Atmosphere in the car on the way to Amy's Park 'was normal'

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie and Manuel Petrovic

    The teenager said he "was aware" of Svenson Ong-a-Kwie asking Manuel Petrovic for a lift to Harold Hill.

    The atmosphere in Mr Petrovic's black Vauxhall Corsa was "normal" and the group were chilling and listening to music, the 17-year-old described to the jury.

    He said there was no tension between Mr Petrovic and Mr Ong-a-Kwie - despite Mr Petrovic claiming he was inconvenienced as it was "rush hour" for his drug dealing.

  19. 'Something was on Svenson's mind - he was a bit arrgghh'

    After the pair dealt some drugs in the Harold Hill area on the evening of 1 March, the teenager and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie were dropped off back at Mr Ong-a-Kwie's hostel in Collier Row.

    The teenager previously told the jury he was "banned" from being inside Mr Ong-a-Kwie's hostel and another CCTV clip played to the jury shows the teenager waiting outside while Mr Ong-a-Kwie went inside the hostel.

    He denied any knowledge they needed to go back to Harold Hill.

    "You told the jury, 'something was on Svenson's mind'," Crispin Aylett QC said.

    The boy replied: "Yes."

    Mr Aylett continued: "You said, 'he was not angry. He was a bit arrrghhh'."

    The teenager agreed.