Live updates from Merseyside and west Cheshire have finished for the day, but we'll be back from 08:00 on Friday with the latest news, sport, weather and travel from across the region.
- Updates on Thursday 9 March
- More news, sport, weather and travel updates from 08:00 on Friday
Remaining sunny, with a mild afternoon. Cooler tonight. Highs of 9C.
An elderly dog with a facial tumour the size of an orange was rescued from a house strewn with rubbish, faeces and mouldy food , footage from the RSCPA shows.
Timmy, 16, was found by firefighters who forced their way into the property in Wallasey, Merseyside, after fearing "there was a dead body in the house".
Xabi Alonso has announced he will retire from football at the end of the season.
Currently with Bayern Munich, the midfielder won the Champions League in Istanbul with Liverpool in 2005.
During his career he also won the FA Cup with the Reds, the European Cup a second time with Real Madrid, La Liga, the Bundesliga title twice and the World Cup with Spain.
- Merseyrail is seeking an injunction to prevent strike actio n by some of its workers on Monday
- A £10m scheme to replace a damaged bridge on a key route in and out of Liverpool will now take an extra 16 weeks
- An elderly dog with a facial tumour the size of an orange has been rescued from a Wirral house strewn with rubbish, faeces and mouldy food, the RSPCA says
A man from Wirral has been jailed for eight months for shining a laser pen at two planes and a helicopter flying over Merseyside.Copyright: BBC
Steven Baxter from Bromborough was arrested when the tactical flight officer on board the helicopter directed police to his address.
The National Police Air Service says the 33-year-old's punishment sends "a clear message" about the dangers of lasers to aircraft.
Wirral Council has been accused of "squandering taxpayers' cash" after it was revealed £1.3m has been spent on consultants and interim managers - with two temporary bosses pocketing more than £180,000 each.
A £10m scheme to replace a damaged bridge on a key route in and out of Liverpool will now take an extra 16 weeks.Copyright: Google
Contractors working on the Great Howard Street project have found problems with the ground conditions which require a total redesign of the new foundations.
It means the road, which was due to re-open in April, will now remain closed for a further four months.
A bright afternoon with some scattered cloud. Highs of 11C.
A Halewood man was jailed after smashing a glass in another man’s face in a Liverpool bar.
Merseyrail is seeking an injunction to prevent strike action by some of its workers on Monday.Copyright: Merseyrail
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union are to walk out for 24 hours in a row over driver-only operated trains (DOO) and the role of conductors.
A company statement said: "Merseyrail argued to the High Court that decisions about the design and operation of the trains under DOO principles were taken by council leaders and councillors in December 2016 and that Merseyrail had no choice but to implement these plans.
"As such, the RMT's dispute is with Merseytravel and not Merseyrail."
The case will be heard in the High Court in London later.
Merseyrail is to seek an injunction to prevent strike action by members of the RMT union on Monday, the company has announced.
More to follow.
David Haye says he wants a rematch with Tony Bellew, but admits that the prospect "solely depends on Tony" after Haye was beaten by a technical knockout in the 11th round of their highly anticipated fight on Saturday.
- A £10m scheme to replace a damaged bridge on Great Howard Street in Liverpool will now take an extra 16 weeks, contractors say
- A call for a referendum to increase council tax by 9% is rejected by Liverpool city councillors
- Three schoolboys in Liverpool begin youth detention sentences for what a judge described as "a brutal, shocking and callous attack" on a shop-keeper
A call for a referendum to increase council tax by 9% has been rejected by Liverpool city councillors as the debate descended into heated rows.Copyright: Getty Images
The Green Party claimed its proposal would raise an extra £6m to offset cuts of £90m over the next three years.
Liverpool City Council instead voted for a 4.99% rise - most of which will be spent on adult social care.
Mayor Joe Anderson said he presented his budget, which could see about 300 jobs lost , with a "heavy heart".
- Copyright: Made in Liverpool
Landlords are more likely to accept potential renters who own pets than people claiming benefits, a BBC investigation has found .Copyright: Thinkstock
Analysis of 11,000 online listings for spare rooms found all but a few hundred stated benefit claimants were not welcome.
Campaign groups say it is "naked discrimination" and are calling for a change in the law.
Landlords say more social housing needs to be built.
Three schoolboys in Liverpool are beginning youth detention sentences for a what a judge described as a "brutal, shocking and callous attack" on a shopkeeper.
The two 16 year-olds and one 15-year-old brandished a knife and then kicked their victim in the face as he was opening up his convenience store on Broadway in Norris Green in December last year.
They also shouted racist abuse at the 38-year-old and filmed the attack on a mobile phone.
He suffered multiple injuries and needed reconstructive surgery to his face.
- Three schoolboys in Liverpool are beginning youth detention sentences for a what a judge described as "a brutal, shocking and callous attack" on a shopkeeper
- Liverpool's Mayor has promised to fight to keep all the city's libraries open
- Liverpool councillors voted to increase council tax to 4.99% last night
St Helens Star
St Helens Council is reviewing its library service , as a result of "unprecedented" budget cuts.Copyright: BBC