Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

John Arkless and Richard Porter

All times stated are UK

  1. Thank you and goodbye

    Thanks for following our live coverage of coronavirus in Wales today, here's a reminder of our top stories:

    We'll be back with more live coverage from 07:00 BST on Monday morning.

  2. EastEnders to resume filming

    Eleven weeks after filming was halted due to lockdown, new episodes of soaps EastEnders and Coronation Street are expected on TV soon.

    EastEnders producers recently revealed that they had run out of fresh episodes, despite reducing the number of instalments shown each week.

    But the BBC's London-based soap is now set to return with 20-minute episodes (instead of the usual 30) being filmed with social distancing.

    No date has been announced for when the new instalments will be shown, but the last of the current batch will air next Tuesday, the BBC has announced.

  3. Ospreys face masks fly off the shelves

    It's clearly the must-have purchase for rugby fans in Swansea and Neath.

    Ospreys-branded face coverings which will raise funds for the NHS have sold out within hours of going on sale.

    View more on twitter
  4. Key worker 'grateful' for Dragon's Heart experience

    A key worker has tweeted saying she is grateful for "a once in a lifetime opportunity" to work at the Dragon's Heart Hospital, the temporary set-up at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

    View more on twitter
  5. Cwmbran Big Event goes digital

    The annual Cwmbran Big Event will be taking place online tomorrow because of the coronavirus crisis.

    The town's community council has appealed for people to share photos and videos from previous year's gatherings using the hashtags #CwmbranBigEvent2020 or #CBE2020.

    As usual, the day will feature entertainment from local performers, a dog show, and information from council partners on the help and support available for residents.

    The event is being held across Cwmbran Community Council’s social media channels from midday until 17:00 BST.

    View more on twitter
  6. Ceredigion Bay Rally cancelled

    The Ceredigion Bay Rally has been cancelled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

    It was due to be held on 13 September, starting and finishing in Aberystwyth.

    Organisers say the decision was taken "with much regret" after the success of the inaugural event last year.

    It was the first competitive stage rally ever to take place on closed public roads in Wales.

    They said the safety of everyone involved was their number one priority.

    Rally car
  7. Public Health Wales back to 'core role'

    Officials from Public Health Wales have said they are glad to be getting back to their "core role" of contract tracing and testing during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Chair Jan Williams told the Senedd's health committee that setting up drive-through testing centres was outside of the agency's usual remit.

    “In March, the end of community testing and contact tracing, plus lockdown, meant that we found ourselves operating in part outside our core role and subject to forces totally outside our control," she said.

    Chief executive Tracey Cooper said: "On testing capacity we’ve really moved into a position where we can actually breathe a sigh of relief.

    "We’re now increasing our antibody testing – we’ve started doing that in clinical areas, emergency departments, critical care and we’ll be part of a UK allocation to significantly increase our capacity and we hope to be at 15,000 to 20,000 by the back end of July.”

    When questioned on why only a third of testing capacity was being used, she said lockdown measures had limited the number of people needing tests, but would expect demand to go "up and up" when restrictions are eased.

  8. Newport County braced for 40% losses

    Newport County are expecting to lose about 40% of their income due to the coronavirus lockdown.

    Clubs in League Two voted to end the season earlier in the week, while the Exiles are planning for all games to be played behind closed doors until at least January 2021.

    The club's chairman, Gavin Foxhall, said there would be some "casualties" in the football league as a result of the pandemic.

    "We have to make sure this club gets through the challenging time it has ahead," he said.

    "Therefore as a board we have to make some difficult decisions in making sure this club does get through that in the same way every other football club will be wanting to do.

  9. Plaid calls for government support for arts

    The news that the Wales Millennium Centre could remain closed until April means the Welsh Government should reveal what support it will offer the arts sector, Plaid Cymru has said.

    Culture spokeswoman Sian Gwenllian MS said the challenges facing the centre were "deeply concerning".

    On Friday, staff were told the centre would remain closed until January "at least", putting 85 permanent roles at risk of redundancy. Casual staff will also no longer be employed.

    Ms Gwenllian said: “The arts form a crucial pillar of the Welsh economy and they will play a key role in our recovery from Covid-19 – we must seek assurances that Welsh Government is doing all it can to support the sector before it’s too late."

    Earlier on Friday, the Welsh Government said it was doing everything it could to help.

  10. 'The worst part was not being able to sit with him'

    William

    A Cardiff woman has explained why she joined a group calling for a public inquiry into the UK government’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic.

    Nicky Getgood said her father William, 74, died at a nursing home in the first weeks of the lockdown.

    At first she hoped he would recover but his health deteriorated very quickly.

    “We had a call to say he had a temperature and cough, but he was never tested,” she said.

    “The advice was not to admit him to hospital. But it’s not the same standard of treatment at the care home, no IV or fluids.

    “When he was ill in past he was treated in hospital and bounced back.”

    Nicky and her brother got to see their father a few times before he died at the care home. They were only given any protective equipment on the last visit. She said staff did not have any PPE either at first.

    “The worst part was not being able to sit with him throughout, not be there with him," she said.

    The Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice UK group say immediate lessons need to be learned to prevent more deaths, and that waiting for ministers to launch an inquiry will cost lives.

  11. Gardening guru Terry Walton and his socially-distanced sweetcorn

    BBC Radio 2

    BBC gardening expert Terry Walton joked he is taking social distancing so seriously that he is even keeping his sweetcorn apart!

    Speaking live on BBC Radio 2 from his allotment in Rhondda, he told Jeremy Vine he has been "extremely good" at following regulations.

    "I haven't been inside a shop premises since before the lockdown," he said.

    "All I do is get in my car, drive up to the allotment which is within the Welsh Government's five-mile limit, I have my exercise, collect some of the crops and go home."

    Terry told Jeremy: "You know the Rhondda, you have been a few times, the homes are densely packed, we're all living close together."

    At the allotment, he said "the first one in in the morning leaves the gate ajar and none of us touch it, and the last one out at night locks it.

    "We bring a flask, we sit socially distanced and we chat from five or six metres away, let alone two.

    "It's not worth the risk - we are all of a certain age and we need to be careful until this has blown over."

    Terry Walton
    Image caption: Terry Walton says his gardening friends are "all of a certain age and need to be careful"
  12. Where have deaths with coronavirus happened?

    There have now been 1,435 deaths of people with coronavirus in Wales, according to Public Health Wales figures.

    The Betsi Cadwaladr health board, which covers the whole of north Wales, has recorded the most deaths, with 315.

    The number of deaths in Powys is lower as there are no general hospitals in the county, and the figures do not include residents who died in hospitals in other areas.

    Map of deaths
  13. How has the number of deaths changed?

    Including Friday's data from Public Health Wales, the average number of daily deaths has continued to fall after peaking in mid-April.

    While numbers still fluctuate, particularly at weekends where figures are generally lower, the number of weekly deaths is falling.

    Chart of the number of deaths
  14. Still hope for Welsh summer sports

    Cricket groundsman

    The acting chief executive of Sport Wales believes there is still hope for some summer sports to resume in Wales.

    But Brian Davies says if any easing of the coronavirus lockdown happens, the traditional social aspects of sports are unlikely to occur.

    "At the moment the small steps that we may be allowed to take is very much the message will be the 'get in, get out' type scenario," said Mr Davies.

    The Welsh Government has set 18 June as the date for its next lockdown review.

  15. BreakingTen more coronavirus deaths in Wales

    A further 10 people with coronavirus have now died in Wales, according to Public Health Wales figures.

    It takes the total number of deaths to 1,435.

    There were 77 more cases reported, taking the total number to 14,658.

  16. Fund needed for cultural organisations, says first minister

    The first minister has called for a UK government fund to help struggling arts organisations, following the announcement that Wales Millennium Centre could close until next year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Mark Drakeford told the daily coronavirus briefing that the end of the furlough scheme had led the centre to take the action that threatens 250 jobs.

    “The Wales Millennium Centre is taking those actions because it sees the furlough scheme coming to an end and needs to act properly as an employer to safeguard the rights of its employees," he said.

    "We hear that the UK government is to provide a fund for cultural organisations across the United Kingdom to help them to deal with the crisis.

    “I checked just before I came down here whether or not we had seen that announcement this morning.

    "We certainly hope that announcement will come, and that it will provide a consequential amount of funding for us here in Wales so that we can assist the Millennium Centre and other arts organisations in Wales who are facing such a bleak prospect in the crisis.”

  17. Preparing trains for social distancing

    Transport for Wales is encouraging passengers to maintain social distancing when travelling by train.

    View more on twitter
  18. Two-metre rule 'will only change if the science does'

    The first minister says Wales' two-metre social distancing rule will only change if the scientific advice does.

    Mark Drakeford said the advice received by the UK and Welsh governments "was very clear, if you halve the distance from two metres to one metre you double the risk".

    In a paper on 5 June, the Welsh Government's scientific advisers called for "at least two metres separation where possible, given the significant reduction in risk compared to shorter distances".

    Mr Drakeford told Friday's briefing: "They revisit their advice in the changing context of the disease.

    "If the advice from Sage [Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies] and chief medical officers changed then our position would change here in Wales," he said.

  19. First minister 'encouraged' by retail preparations

    The first minister says he is "very encouraged" by the way non-essential shops have made preparations to potentially reopen their stores.

    At the last lockdown review announcement on 29 May, Mark Drakeford told non-essential retail businesses to use the three weeks until the next review on 19 June to put safety measures in place.

    Mr Drakeford told journalists at the daily Welsh Government coronavirus briefing that he had heard from businesses who have been using the time "to put up shields in their premises, to organise 2m distancing."

    He said if they are given "the final go ahead" next Friday then "they'll be able to move ahead as fast as they are able".