We'll be back again tomorrow with all the latest coronavirus news from the UK and around the world. Today's live page was edited by Helier Cheung, John Hand and Lauren Turner and written by Joshua Nevett, Alice Evans, George Wright, Becky Morton and Ritu Prasad.
Thank you for joining us...
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
We're about to pause our live coverage for the day - thank you for joining us. Here is a round-up of the day's biggest developments from across the globe:
The World Health Organization says global Covid-19 cases will reach 20 million this week
Florida on Monday reported just over 4,200 new cases - the lowest new case count in the state since 23 June. The Sunshine State also reported 91 additional deaths.
Last month, Florida was one of several US states seeing a spike in Covid-19 cases, at one point seeing consecutive days with over 10,000 new cases. Critics blamed a hasty reopening and lack of statewide regulations for the rise.
While this signals a positive trend, Florida isn't out of the woods yet - there are still more than 30,000 residents in hospital for Covid-19, though emergency department visits have also been on the decline in the last two weeks. In all, more than 530,000 Floridians have tested positive for the virus and more than 8,000 have died.
The state's positive test rate is also dropping, but remains high.
Florida Senator Marco Rubio said the numbers were "good news" but cautioned: "We need to stay on this track and not let complacency put us back in another surge."
Theatre boss says woman removed mask to cough in son's face
The artistic director of London's Young Vic Theatre, Kwame Kwei-Armah, has said a woman removed her mask to cough in the face of his 15-year-old son on public transport.
The director and playwright, who is black, tweeted about the incident, saying the white women then ran off the train shouting, "this is what you people do".
He added that he was "relieved" his son had subsequently tested negative for coronavirus.
Cuba has registered its highest daily number of coronavirus cases after a recent rise in local transmission.
The health ministry reported 93 cases just as the capital Havana re-entered a period of tighter restrictions.
The recent spike in numbers comes after Cuba appeared to have successfully controlled the outbreak.
While just 93 positive cases in 24 hours might be considered an enviable figure by countries where the pandemic is at its most fierce, in Cuba it represents a step backwards.
Having recently registered no cases and no deaths from Covid-19 on one day a few weeks back, the island has gradually slid back to a situation where it has recorded its highest daily figure.
Havana is facing a tightening of controls. Under the government’s phased system of restrictions, public transport has been suspended, inter-provincial travel prohibited, bars and restaurants ordered shut and the beaches closed.
Fortunately, for the time being, deaths have not risen from the 88 people who had died from the virus by the beginning of the month.
However, the effort to see tourism pick up has suffered a setback, further worsening the island’s dire economic outlook for this year.
Beirut Covid-19 hospital 'close to capacity', director says
Lebanon’s main Covid-19 hospital in Beirut is “close to capacity” after a spike in infections and last week’s explosion led to an influx of patients, its director has said.
Dr Firass Abiad, chief executive of Rafic Hariri University Hospital, told the BBC there has been an exponential rise in the number of coronavirus cases in Lebanon recently.
The government will be reducing the number of people employed to track down contacts of those who have tested positive for
coronavirus from 18,000 to 12,000.
NHS Test and Trace, working with Public
Health England, will put greater emphasis on contact tracing at a local level, with local authorities getting their own dedicated teams.
In May, Health Secretary Matt Hancock
announced that an “army” of contact tracers would be recruited for England's test
and trace service. Early on, there were reports that new recruits were sitting
idle – with one telling the BBC that she spent her time watching Netflix.
Some 6,000 of them are now being stood down in England.
More of their work will be conducted by local staff with knowledge of their
area. The Department of Health has said that this is to provide a “more
tailored approach” which has been successfully trialled in Blackburn, Luton and
But critics will see it as the latest example of
the government departing from its centralised approach to tackling the
Plans to launch a national app to identify potentially infected people have been repeatedly delayed.
top-down high-tech strategy for contact tracing is making way for what
seasoned local public health officials describe as old fashioned “shoe leather
This relies on people with local knowledge collecting
information by going door-to-door on foot.
Young people in the US continue to be most affected by the economic crash caused by Covid-19, with one new report putting the figure for unemployed millennials on par with the number of Americans who have been infected.
The Wall Street Journal reports that 4.8m millenials have lost their job due to the shutdown, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis. More than 5m Americans have tested positive for Covid-19., more than a quarter of all the cases in the world.
Millennials are less likely to have savings, and more likely to lose their job amid the pandemic, experts say.
Further 21 coronavirus deaths in the UK
A further 21 coronavirus deaths have been reported in the UK, taking the total number of people who have died after testing positive for the virus to 46,526.
Public Health England said 69 historical deaths had been removed from the total because the individuals were later found not to have been positive for Covid-19.
The move was broadly welcomed by both shoppers and retailers in east Belfast.
One customer said she found wearing a face covering "difficult" but felt it was something she would have to get used to.
Mark Thompson, whose partner is a health worker, said he has been wearing a face covering since the start of the pandemic and is glad that more people will doing the same.
"I think it's a bit irresponsible if you don't wear a mask, specifically in shops," he said.
Stephen Bradley, who is a business owner in Belfast city centre, said: "We are leaving the onus on the individual."
"We have masks on ourselves when we are in the shop to make people feel as safe as possible," he added.
However, the Police Service of Northern Ireland has said the primary responsibility for enforcement will lie with shops owners - and the force would only use enforcement "as a last resort", with fines of up to £60 for those who don't comply.
However, experts say that it is unlikely the country had zero virus cases.
There have been rumours of Covid-19 cases in North Korea for months, but the country's tightly-controlled society and state media have made them impossible to confirm, analysts say.
Angry Lebanese 'not listening to Covid rules', hospital director says
Journalist, BBC World Online
The director of Lebanon's main Covid-19 hospital has told the BBC that he believes people angered by last week's blast are not
listening to government coronavirus rules.
"We’re seeing is that people are becoming very tired and very angry," said Dr Firass Abiad, director of Rafic Hariri University Hospital.
"This is not conducive to
asking them to follow certain rules. Whatever the government comes out and
says, I don’t think the people will follow those rules."
A lot of staff that could
have been allocated to fighting Covid-19 are now being required to take care of people injured in the explosion, he added.
"Because we’re a Covid
hospital, we had to take care of Covid patients from another hospital that was
damaged. So at the same time we were receiving Covid patients from that
hospital and casualties from the blast," Dr Abiad said.
"If that explosion did not
happen, we might have had more staff available," he added.
Eligibility for fertility treatment to be extended in NI
BBC News NI
PA MEDIACopyright: PA MEDIA
Eligibility for anyone currently on the waiting list for fertility treatment in Northern Ireland is to be extended by a year, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Four of the biggest pantomimes in London will not go ahead this year because of continued uncertainty over when indoor performances can restart without social distancing.
Hackney Empire, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, Queen's Theatre Hornchurch
and Theatre Royal Stratford East have all announced they are postponing their annual Christmas pantomime until 2021.
Last year's shows were attended by more than 145,000 people in total and they usually employ 285 freelance artists, including writers, directors, designers, actors, technicians and stage management.
The production process for such performances would normally have begun at the start of August. But the theatres have said that without a confirmed date from the government for when indoor performances can resume without social distancing to make the shows economically viable, they will have to postpone.
A number of other pantomimes across the country, including at the Birmingham Hippodrome and the Blackpool Grand Theatre, have already been cancelled.
Tourists and locals on holidaying in the UK
BBC Radio 5 Live
Rod ChatfieldCopyright: Rod Chatfield
BBC Radio 5 Live's Your Call programme asked listeners whether holidaying at home is good for the UK, as people head to traditional British tourist spots. In some places, local residents have complained about littering and poor social distancing.
Rod and Helen Chatfield run the Varley House guest house in Ilfracombe. They have brought in extra measures to make sure they are able to offer eight rooms to guests.
Rod told 5 Live that it’s meant a lot more work, including offering table service, but said they are getting plenty of bookings.
“It is definitely more of a thing for us, but I think the guests what we’re doing and are very receptive to what we’re doing.”
Rod chairs Ilfracombe’s District Tourism Association and says businesses are adapting.
“There is a pub in this town here which only opens until 16:00 because [the landlord] is worried about social distancing within his property."
Jason is on holiday in Newquay. He said he and his wife are “astonished” by the lack of space people are giving and how people are “blatantly ignoring” one-way systems on beaches.
“I’m seeing lots of people take their mess away from the beaches… but still we’re seeing people walking through towns… Padstow for example, lovely place to visit, absolutely rammed. Any chance of social distancing? Not a chance.”