Police said the pump-action shotgun was capable of 'wiping out a room in seconds'Read more
A man has been arrested over the killing of a 17-year-old girl who was shot dead in north London two years ago.
Tanesha Melbourne-Blake was gunned down while with friends in Charlgrove Road, Tottenham, on 2 April 2018.
The Met Police said a 30-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of murder on Thursday and remains in custody.
Five people have previously been held over the 17-year-old's death. Three were released under investigation pending further inquiries, while two others were released with no further action.
A man has been stabbed at Regent's Park mosque in north London mosque this afternoon.
His attacker has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. The condition of the victim is not yet known.
The attack happened just after 15:00.
Reports are coming in of a knife incident at Regent's Park Mosque in north London.
Parents who suffer the trauma of losing a baby during pregnancy or birth are being offered free support from a specialist bereavement counsellor at St Thomas’ Hospital.
St Thomas’ has become the eighth hospital in the UK to partner with the baby loss counselling charity, Petals.
Emily Dent, from Kennington in south London, received their support after she lost her son, Erik, at 21 weeks in 2018.
She was also offered counselling sessions when she was pregnant again with her daughter, Astrid, who is now four months old.
Emily said: “Having someone there to talk to who was totally disconnected from my life really helped me to process something pretty traumatic.
Debbie Bridgewater, matron for the high risk team at Guy’s and St Thomas’, said: "Our bereavement midwives are there to support families going through this difficult time, and the new Petals counselling service will help us to provide even better care.”
Police have been using live facial recognition technology in the form of van-mounted cameras near Oxford Circus this morning.
The surveillance has been criticised by civil liberties and privacy campaigners since its roll-out was announced last month.
A photograph of a dark blue van, next to a sign reading "Police live facial recognition in use", taken near Oxford Circus was later posted on Twitter by UK civil liberties group Big Brother Watch, who described the identity checks as "alarming".
People scanned by the cameras are checked against "watchlists" of suspects wanted by police and the courts and approached by officers if there is a match.
The Met claims that the technology has a very low failure rate but research from the University of Essex said the tech only achieved eight correct matches out of 42 across six trials it evaluated.
Local Democracy Reporting Service
AFC Wimbledon fans have managed to raise £5m in a month to ensure that the team can move back to the borough in time for next season.
In December, the club said it needed to raise a further £11m by January to complete their new stadium at Plough Lane.
In response to this, the fan-owned club set up the Plough Lane Bond on 17 January to get the stadium completed this year.
Fan Damian Woodward, who helped set up the bond, said: “It will be more than a dream come true having not been back there for 30 years.
“Having been at Plough Lane at the age of 10 and going back, it will be an incredible feeling for many fans and really uplifting for the community.”
Wimbledon FC, as it was known then, left Plough Lane in 1991, first sharing Selhurst Park with Crystal Palace FC, before moving to Milton Keynes where they were renamed as Milton Keynes Dons.
AFC Wimbledon was formed in 2002 by dedicated Wimbledon fans who were not happy about the move to Milton Keynes.
The club's chief executive Joe Palmer said: “I’m delighted by the success of the bond so far and keeping it running was one of the easiest decisions I’ve been a part of since I’ve been here."
A woman has been taken to hospital by paramedics after she was rescued from the flat fire in Kensington.
She was found in the three-roomed basement flat after fire crews were called to Pater Street at 0920.
London Fire Brigade said the blaze had taken just over an hour to get under control.
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Kingston council has spent more than £4.3m on employing consultants to help out with its services.
In a Freedom of Information Request sent by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, it was revealed the council had spent £4,356,347 on employing consultants between 2017 and 2019.
The department which spent the most on consultants was regeneration and strategic housing, totalling £1,764,929 in the period.
The biggest regeneration plan the borough has at the moment is on the Cambridge Road Estate.
This will be subject to a residents’ ballot, starting next week to decide if the estate should be demolished and replaced with new homes.
It will run from 24 February to 18 March and will be independently run by Civica Election Services, formerly known as the Electoral Reform Society, and will open to eligible residents on the estate.
The council’s highest yearly spend on consultants was in 2017, totalling £2,183,176. However, this dropped to £921,559 in 2019, less than half than the amount spent in 2017.
A spokesperson for Kingston council said: “The council has undertaken a large and competitive procurement exercise which required specialist skills that the council does not hold on a permanent basis during the period 2017-19.
“The expertise from these procured resources centered around the redevelopment plans for the Cambridge Road Estate, which is key priority in our Corporate Plan and will bring forward a significant level of investment into the borough and deliver over 2,000 new warmer homes, including increased council homes, additional community facilities and public spaces.”
BBC Radio London Political Reporter
A man accused of murdering two women who were found dead in a freezer faces trial in April.
The bodies of Hungarian national Ms Szucs and mother-of-three Ms Mustafa were discovered by police in a flat in Canning Town, east London, on 26 April 2019.
Mr Younis, of Vandome Close, Canning Town, appeared at the Old Bailey via video-link from Wandsworth jail for a hearing before Mr Justice Edis on Tuesday.
Mr Justice Edis confirmed he would be the trial judge and hear the case at Kingston Crown Court.
The case would be scheduled to start on 14 April and last for up to five weeks.
The defendant was remanded in custody
The costs of refurbishing the Fairfield Halls rose by another £1.6million in just five months since it re-opened last September – and there could be many millions more to add to the price tag of the council-owned arts venue.
Staff working on the Bakerloo line are planning to strike from Friday.
Members of the RMT union will take action over a new timetable from 10:00 GMT on Friday until Monday evening.
The Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines will also be closed in central London this weekend for testing of the new signalling system.
"Vital work on the Bank station upgrade" will be taking place on the Northern line which will prevent travel between Moorgate and Kennington.
The Transport for London website has more details of alternative arrangement.
The owner of Camden music venue Koko has expressed his gratitude to the firefighters who saved the building from a blaze last month with a huge Valentine's day facade.
Olly Bengough invited firefighters to see the artwork and park their fire engines in front of the building.
"We owe so much to London Fire Brigade's swift and courageous response, which prevented the fire from spreading and saved the main theatre.
Eight engines and 60 firefighters tackled the blaze after receiving an emergency call.
The building's 120-year-old copper dome was destroyed but the feature saved the building from more extensive damage by acting as a chimney and funnelling the fire up through the roof.
A £40m redevelopment of the theatre will see the copper dome rebuilt to include an immersive cocktail bar.
Koko has hosted a range of stars including the Rolling Stones and Madonna.
The sister of a man from Thamesmead who went missing more than 30 years ago is appealing for help to find him.
Ian Bushell was last seen by his father Wilton on 20 January 1988 when he was aged 21.
When Wilton next visited Ian’s flat just weeks later on 16 February there was no answer at the door and he let himself in.
There was no trace of Ian despite the rest of his possessions, including his clothes, wallet and keys all being in the house
Ian’s father immediately reported his son as missing to police and enquiries were made to try and find him.
Despite numerous appeals for information, Ian – who would have been 54 today – has never been found.
His sister Rosalind said: “I was only 16 when my big brother went missing and I have thought of him every day for the last 32 years.
“My dad passed away two years later and my mother in 2010, so now it is just me.
“I have no other siblings and would give anything to have my big brother back home or find out what happened to him.”
BBC London weather
Currently there is a Met Office yellow warning out for the capital valid from 10:00 tomorrow to 23:59 on Sunday.
Keep an eye on the flood warnings from Environment Agency.
Heaviest of the rain is expected on Sunday but rain amounts will build through the weekend - for many it will just be continuous pretty much all weekend.
In terms of comparison to Storm Ciara last weekend there will be more rain and not quite so windy, again fairly prolonged pretty much all weekend.
It will be drier by Sunday evening but still very windy into the start of next week.
In 2019, ex-prisoner Gareth Evans protected others from London Bridge attacker Usman Khan.
The Labour Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, says the resignation of the chancellor just weeks before the Budget shows the “government is in chaos”.
Speaking at an affordable housing development in Peckham, Mr Khan tells BBC London he is "sad" at the decision of Sajid Javid to step down, saying he understood the reasons why London needed more investment and had been "receptive" when he lobbied him ahead of the budget.
“On a personal level I am disappointed," he says. "Sajid is one of the ministers I’ve known for some time. Both of us coming from similar backgrounds, his dad being a bus driver and mine obviously.
“But actually what it shows is a government in chaos. They won an election on 12 December. They’ve got a decent majority and they’re in chaos.
"The chancellor is arguably the most important job in the cabinet other than the prime minister and here we have it, literally a few weeks before the Budget, the chancellor’s resigned.
"But it just shows the chaos in this government.”
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Jobs could be cut under plans to transfer all but essential services from Homerton Hospital’s pathology labs to the Royal London, health bosses have revealed.
The future of the labs, which analyse blood and urine for diagnostic purposes, has been the focus of campaigns to keep them local for the past five years, with concerns raised over how factors such as speed and capacity will be maintained.
The services will be shared by the Homerton and two other NHS trusts, Barts Health and Lewisham & Greenwich, with a large lab at the Royal London dealing with ‘high volume’ tests with longer turnaround times.
Other hospitals within the network will retain ‘essential services’ labs for urgent tests within key areas like A&E.
It has not yet been revealed if the jobs to be lost from the Homerton’s services will be clinical posts, but Ralph Coulbeck, Barts’ strategy director, has now confirmed that job reductions will fall on essential services labs such as the Homerton’s.
Residents of flats overlooked by the Tate Modern have lost the latest round of their legal battle with the gallery at the Court of Appeal.
The owners of four flats in the Neo Bankside development on London's South Bank took legal action in a bid to stop "hundreds of thousands of visitors" looking into their homes from the Tate's viewing platform.
They applied for an injunction requiring the gallery to prevent members of the public observing their flats by "cordoning off" parts of the platform or "erecting screening", to stop what they said was a "relentless" invasion of their privacy.
But the board of trustees of the Tate Gallery argued that the platform provides "a unique, free, 360-degree view of London" and said the claimants could simply "draw the blinds".
Announcing the court's decision, Master of the Rolls Sir Terence Etherton said: "The court has dismissed the appeal on the basis that overlooking does not fall within the tort of nuisance."
The judge added that the flat owners' application for permission to appeal to the Supreme Court had been refused.
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Transport for London (TfL) will takeover the Woolwich Ferry, after “unacceptable” delays over the past year.
The free river crossing is currently run by Scottish contractor Briggs Marine on behalf of TfL.
It carries an estimated 2 million passengers across the Thames each year.
But since the arrival of new boats in February last year there have been serious disruptions to the service.
In the six months from February there were more than 600 hours of delays – equivalent to more than 26 full days’ service lost.
This compares to just two days’ disruption in the previous six months.
Sadiq Khan today said he “shares passengers’ frustration at the unacceptable closures they have faced over the past year”.
He said: “The Woolwich Ferry is an important part of London’s transport network.
“I am delighted that TfL is set to take over the contract – bringing a renewed focus on Londoners’ needs including better reliability and customer service.”
The ferry contract with Briggs expires at the end of next month, but TfL will extend its work with the contractor for up to a year while it moves the service in house.
A spokesperson for Briggs Marine said: “We welcome TfL’s extension to its current operating contract. The company looks forward to continuing close co-operation to ensure safe and effective transition of the operation to TfL.”