'Hundreds of nursing shifts go unfilled' in south west
Health Correspondent, BBC Spotlight
More than 1,100 nursing and health care assistant shifts went unfilled in just one week across three of the region's hospitals, according to figures gathered by the Royal College of Nursing (RCN).
The figures suggest almost double that number had been filled with agency and bank staff.
Trusts say they are working to recruit more staff and deploy existing staff to ensure patient safety isn't compromised.
The RCN has launched a petition and says it is a problem that affects everyone:
Susan Masters, from the RCN, said: "We need the citizens of this country to understand that nursing affects all of them, that we need to have the numbers in place, the right numbers of staff in the right place with the right skills to care for them and their families."
The Police and
Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall will head to
London this month to argue that the force should receive an additional £15m to
compensate it for the cost of policing a "summer surge" of visitors.
Hernandez says the force is put under additional strain because the
two counties host more domestic visitors than any other.
Grant Application is being finalised by staff at the PCC’s office.
detailed facts and figures that explain the additional pressures placed on
officers and staff between April and September.
The tourism sector is vitally important to the South West, and contributes at least £300m a year to the Treasury through VAT. This application is about trying to get some of that money back so we can help to keep visitors and our resident population safe. We have invested heavily in additional resources like a rural and wildlife crime team, collaborations with other blue light services and additional roads policing teams to help to cope with a rise in requests for help because of the summer surge."
Cornwall travel: Accidents in Bodmin and Praze-An-Beeble
Officers were called to the two-vehicle crash at the junction of the B3275 and the A390 near Probus on Tuesday at about 10:30.
Ms Frost, from Truro, was the driver of a blue Volvo and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The second vehicle, a silver Mercedes ML270, was carrying thee people who all sustained minor injuries, Devon and Cornwall Police said.
Officers are continuing to appeal for witnesses.
No one hurt in Truro house fire
BBC News Online
A fire broke out at a house in Truro on Thursday morning.
Firefighters were called to St Thomas Close in Truro at 05:44 after being told there were flames coming out of the front door of the building and that two people were thought to be tapped inside.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had been extinguished and everyone had been accounted for.
Council rejects plans for remote voting
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Calls to allow councillors to take part and vote in meetings from home have been rejected by just one vote.
Liberal Democrat councillor Jesse Foot had led an impassioned bid to get Cornwall Council used as a pilot area for remote voting access for councillors.
Ironically by the time a vote was taken on his motion a third of councillors had left the chamber at County Hall. It was defeated by a single vote with 40 councillors in favour and 41 against.
Mr Foot said the public sector was far behind in terms of making use of IT and said he was tabling his motion 12 years after a government minister indicated that they would consider allowing councillors to vote remotely.
Having opened his speech with the sound of a dial-up connection from about 20 years ago Mr Foot said the council needed to make sure it wasn’t still “buffering” by 2021.
However, independent councillor Tim Dwelly, who said he had lobbied for better use of technology, said he was not in favour of remote voting.
He said many people in Cornwall already considered that the council was “remote” and that allowing councillors to vote and participate from home would not help.
Cornwall Council has admitted that it is responsible for the delay in getting work underway on the Stadium for Cornwall.
In July Cabinet member Bob Egerton claimed the deal to transfer the land needed for the stadium, which would unlock funding from the government, could be done by the end of that month.
However, despite his claim that it could take “days if not hours”, nothing happened.
At a meeting of full council yesterday Conservative councillor David Harris asked Mr Egerton for an explanation.
The cabinet member for economy and planning said the reason for the delay was because the council needed more land for the planned Northern Access Road, which will serve the Langarth Garden Village development that is planned for the area around the stadium site.
Mr Egerton said: "I promised it in good faith. I believed at that time that we were about to get it signed off but subsequently we did find there was a bit of a problem."
He told the council more land is needed for the new road and said that once it had been done the land for the stadium could be secured.
While Mr Egerton apologised for the delay he was reluctant to say when the deal might be complete.
He said: "“I am hesitant to give you another timescale having been wrong before. All I can say is that we are actively working on it. It is in the interests of us as a council as well as the stadium partners to get this through and done as soon as possible."
Assistant Chief Constable Jim Colwell described the "positive" report as a "reflection of the hard work" of custody staff.
ACC Colwell said "further investments" had been made into a "state-of-the-art policing hub and custody centre" in Exeter.
Devon and Cornwall Police are proud to be leading the world with some of the safety equipment that we have installed in our custody. Treating those in custody with dignity, care and respect is not only ethical and the right thing to do, but is more likely to influence positive outcomes for victims and witnesses."
Clouds frame sunset over Redruth
Thanks to Tom, from Redruth, in Cornwall, for this great image.
Sexual grooming crimes in Devon and Cornwall have almost doubled with record numbers of children being targeted on social media, according to police.
More than 100 offences were recorded across the two counties last year whereas the previous year it was about 50.
Officers said many of the victims were under the age of 11.
The NSPCC said social media platform Instagram is especially being used to target children.
It added it wants the government to bring in new laws to make accounts more private and stop online grooming.
Report into police custody finds 'gaps' in data
BBC News Online
An unannounced inspection of the running of police custody suites in Devon and Cornwall has been released, concluding the force was "generally delivering good outcomes for detainees".
However, the report did outline a "cause of concern" around the data collation and monitoring, describing the process as "insufficient" and having "gaps" which led to "inaccurate and unreliable" data in several areas.
The report recommended the service must collate "accurate data on all areas of custody" in order to "scrutinise" and improve the custody process.
The joint inspection was conducted by HM Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) and HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue
Services (HMICFRS) in May.
It examined the "effectiveness of custody services and outcomes" throughout the detention process, as well as the safe detention and the treatment of detainees,
with a particular focus on vulnerable people and children.
Nineteen additional "areas of improvement" were also identified by the report, including over staff deployment and the excessive use of overtime.
Devon and Cornwall weather: Cloudy with rain expected
A rather cloudy Wednesday with the odd patch of rain.
It should dry up later though.
Highs of 19C (66F).
Devon and Cornwall weather: Cloud and fresh winds
By the end of Tuesday night, cloud will cover hills and parts of the coast exposed to moderate or fresh southwesterly winds, which will become strong at times.
Minimum temperature: 10C to 13C.
Wednesday morning will be cloudy with further outbreaks of light rain or drizzle.
Cloud will cover hills and parts of the coast at times, but in the afternoon it should become drier and a little brighter for areas towards the north coast.
Moderate or fresh southwesterly winds will be initially strong at times, but will turn towards the northwest later.
Council to spend up to £62m on waste trucks and facilities
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Cornwall Council has agreed to spend up to £62m of taxpayers’ money on new rubbish trucks and improving processing facilities for the council’s new waste and recycling collection service.
The council is currently negotiating a new contract for the service, which will start in April 2020.
As part of the contract, the council is looking to change rubbish and recycling collections so that black bag waste is collected fortnightly and recycling and food waste is collected weekly. The changes to the service will not start until June 2021.
The full council backed moves to increase the authority’s capital programme by up to £62m as part of the changes.
However, despite agreeing the money needed for the vehicles and facilities, some councillors claimed people in Cornwall were not happy about having the collection service changed.
St Columb Major independent councillor Paul Wills said the "majority of people out there don’t want to see any change.
He said: "They want to continue to put out their recycling once a fortnight and black bags picked up once a week."
Mr Wills also claimed that the responsibility of cleaning up left-behind rubbish could fall on parish and town councils which would have to increase their council tax to pay for it.
Independent councillor Mark Kaczmarek said the change to fortnightly black bag collection would result in an increase in people going to household waste recycling centres (HWRCs) to dispose of waste. He said the council should make a pledge not to close any HWRCs and also to build more for communities across Cornwall.
Environment cabinet member Rob Nolan said he welcomed the opening of a new HWRC in Truro this week and the council would be aiming to have centres close to the most populated areas. However, he could not promise that none would close.
He added: "I am confident that when we get going (with the new collection service) it will work well and people will get used to it."
'Record-breaking number' of washed-up whales and dolphins