A Grade ll listed manor house has suffered "significant damage" in a fire thought to have been accidentally started during restoration work.
More than 60 firefighters were called at 10:37 BST to Chalmington Manor near Maiden Newton, Dorset.
The roof and much of the second floor of the empty property were badly damaged but the rest of the building was saved, Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service said.
It said the cause was believed to be "accidental ignition during renovation works".
Fire crews will remain on the scene this evening to monitor hotspots.