Proposals to revamp a landmark seafront pub in South Shields have been put before council planners.
The plans, for the Sanddancer next to Sandhaven Beach, include extending the outdoor area timber decking and adding "beach hut style" seating booths and fire pits.
There would also be an outdoor bar in existing storage sheds.
Comments on the application can be made by writing to South Tyneside Council before 24 February.
BBC
Councillors award themselves pay rises
Daniel Holland
Local Democracy Reporter
Newcastle councillors have agreed pay rises for themselves worth a combined £20,000, despite some members saying they “don’t need the money”.
An increase in the basic annual allowance by £200 to £9,200 has been approved with overwhelming support.
Only two independent councillors from the Chapel ward opposed the move.
Marc Donnelly urged colleagues to freeze their pay for the next 12 months in light of £20m budget cuts and a council tax rise due to be rubber-stamped in the coming weeks.
Ernie Shorton said councillors were deserving of an increase but urged them to “take the high ground” and reject it.
“You don’t need the money, I don’t need the money," he said.
A report by the authority’s Independent Remuneration Panel said Newcastle councillors were paid less than those in many neighbouring areas.
BBC
Eric Richards, who chaired the panel, said the pay did not even amount to the minimum wage when considered against the hours they put in.
The authority voted in 2019 to increase councillors’ allowances for the first time in a decade.
Their new annual salary will now be £10 short of what it was before city politicians took a 5% wage cut in 2013, in response to massive budget cuts.
Metro train 'mock up' goes on tour
Daniel Holland
Local Democracy Reporter
An “immersive” full-size replica of new Metro trains will be going on tour around the North East later this year.
The fully kitted out mock-up will give passengers the chance to experience the layout of the trains, walk through a carriage, and try out the new seats.
They can then share their opinions with operator Nexus, so that any changes needed can be reported to Stadler’s factory in Switzerland.
The exact dates and locations of the roadshow events are yet to be confirmed, but they are expected to start in late summer and continue through the autumn.
Race is on to stop Sunderland terror convict shopkeeper's release
Ministers are aiming to pass emergency legislation to block the automatic early release of convicted terror offenders before the next prisoner is freed in three weeks, it has emerged.
Sunderland shopkeeper Mohammed Zahir Kahn (pictured), 42, is due to be freed on 28 February after serving half his sentence for encouraging terrorism.
An official said legislation would be introduced to the Commons on Tuesday.
It follows attacks in recent months by men convicted of terror offences.
COUNTER-TERRORISM POLICING NORTH EAST
US evangelist Franklin Graham's Newcastle visit cancelled
A Newcastle venue has cancelled an event featuring American evangelist Franklin Graham, following protests by gay rights campaigner
Mr Graham (pictured), the eldest son of the late preacher Billy Graham, has said he believes gay marriage is a "sin".
He was due to speak at the Utilta Arena in June but the venue operator said following talks with its partners and stakeholders the show will no longer take place.
Ste Dunn, chairman of Northern Pride, said: "Having led the call for this to be cancelled, and coordinated the support of numerous groups throughout the city, we are obviously delighted by this decision.
"We would like to thank everyone who got behind the campaign and signed our petition, to make a stand and show that anti-LGBT+ speech is not welcome in Newcastle."
BBC
Venues in Glasgow, Sheffield, Liverpool and Milton Keynes have already pulled out of hosting his events this summer.
In a statement last week, the preacher said: "People who say I'm 'preaching hate' have never heard me speak.
"I'm inviting everyone to come to these meetings.
"I would love for the LGBTQ community to come.
"Regardless of their faith or belief system, everyone is absolutely welcome. We're not going to speak against anybody."
Football gossip: Newcastle set to bid for Benrahma
BBC Sport
Newcastle United and Leicester City are prepared to pay £15m for Brentford and Algeria winger Said Benrahma, 24, in the summer.(Sun)
ALLSPORT/Getty Images
Gabrielle and Gok Wan take to Pride stage
Singer-songwriter Gabrielle is to perform at Northern Pride this summer.
The multi-platinum
artist, who rose to fame in 1993 with her debut single Dreams, will be headlining the Newcastle event, which runs from 17 to 19 July.
Also taking to the main stage on the Sunday is television personality Gok Wan, best known for his work on shows such as How to Look Good Naked and Gok’s
Fashion Fix.
He will entertain crowds at the Town Moor with a DJ set.
Northern Pride
The full line-up for the weekend is yet to be announced, but organisers say they plan to shine a spotlight on more
local performers.
There will also be collaborations with other community groups – such as Newcastle Mela –
and a series of events taking place in the coming months, covering topics from
sports to comedy to raising awareness of mental health.
Northern Pride
There are LGBT+ people in all walks of life and we wanted to reflect this, so we have planned a really exciting and varied programme of events over the next six months which we hope will have really wide appeal."
Your photos: Knife Angel statue in Gateshead
Les Pigg took this photo of the Knife Angel sculpture outside the Sage Gateshead.
The 27ft (8m) statue is made up of 100,000 blades handed to UK police forces.
Teams of undercover police officers are to travel on the Tyne and Wear Metro as part of a crackdown on anti-social behaviour.
It follows a spate of incidents across North Tyneside since the turn of the year, including youths kicking out 10 windows of a carriage, which resulted in the train being taken out of service.
The operation will run over a number of weeks with plain clothes officers on board trains during the day and night.
Operator Nexus said it is forced to spend £500,000 a year cleaning up after vandals.
Council tax hike 'to pay for more police officers'
Stephanie Finnon
BBC Newcastle
Northumbria Police has said it plans to recruit almost 500 new officers paid for by a rise in council tax.
The force's police and crime commissioner, Kim McGuinness, has confirmed a near 2% hike in the police precept, which means some homes will pay £2.67 more a year.
Ms McGuinness said that would generate more than £1m, which will also be put towards better equipment for officers.
She said the tax hike was among the lowest in the country.
Motorists warned of roadwork delays
Stephanie Finnon
BBC Newcastle
Thousands of people who drive through a double roundabout every day in Newcastle are facing months of disruption because of planned roadworks.
Work will start later this month to modify Haddricks Mill in south Gosforth and was due to be completed in the Easter school holidays.
However, it has now been confirmed the work will continue until September because of issues with contractors.
Newcastle City Council said it was doing everything possible to minimise disruption.
Weather for the North East: Settled with sunny spells and light winds
Lisa Gallagher
Weather presenter, BBC Look North
A rather chilly start with some mist and fog patches, but they will slowly lift, to give a dry and bright day with good spells of sunshine.
These sunny spells will turn more hazy for a time later in light winds.
Coronavirus: Newcastle University student says she was discriminated against
A Chinese student at Newcastle University says feels discriminated against after being mocked amid the the panic around the coronavirus outbreak.
Elizabeth and her friend were walking near Eldon Square on Saturday at 16:00 when a group of teenagers, which she described as being "high school age", started screaming when they saw them.
"I didn't really know what happened, but later I realised maybe they take us as evil or the people who are already affected by the virus", she said.
Elizabeth asked the group why they screamed and what she had done to them, but says the group didn't say anything and instead stepped back from her.
"I feel humiliated", she told BBC Newcastle.
North East police forces are encouraging anyone who's been a victim to come forward.
Durham Constabulary and Northumbria Police say they've not had any obvious rises in hate crime
Which is Britain's favourite market?
Newcastle City Council
Newcastle's Grainger Market has been named Britain’s Favourite Market in The National Association of British Markets Authorities annual awards.
It has been given the title after an online vote and a visit by a mystery shopper, who gave it full marks for customer service.
The market was built in 1835 and has more than 100 stalls.
Councillor Ged Bell said he was "absolutely delighted" that Grainger Market won.
“To be crowned Britain’s Favourite Market 2020 demonstrates to the nation what everyone in Newcastle already knows", he added.
Hashem Abedi: Manchester Arena attack brother 'equally guilty'
Salman Abedi detonated a "large home-made improvised explosive device" outside an Ariana Grande concert on 22 May 2017.
His brother Hashem Abedi is standing trial at the Old Bailey over his "role in perpetrating these terrible events".
Julia Quenzler
He denies the murder of 22 people and the attempted murder of others.
Duncan Penny QC said the siblings spent "months" planning the attack.
Hashem, 22, has also denied conspiring with his brother to cause an explosion.
Mr Penny said the effects of the attack had been "both sudden and lethal" and police had identified "nearly 1,000 victims".
In addition to the 22 people, including seven children, who died, a total of 264 "were physically injured", he said, while 670 more had since "reported psychological trauma as a result of these events".
Newcastle's Grainger Market has been named Britain’s Favourite Market in The National Association of British Markets Authorities annual awards.
It has been given the title after an online vote and a visit by a mystery shopper, who gave it full marks for customer service.
The market was built in 1835 and has more than 100 stalls.
Councillor Ged Bell said he was "absolutely delighted" that Grainger Market won.
“To be crowned Britain’s Favourite Market 2020 demonstrates to the nation what everyone in Newcastle already knows", he added.
"The Grainger Market is the jewel in our city’s crown".
Newcastle City Council
Rundown properties turned into affordable homes
Stephanie Finnon
BBC Newcastle
A row of rundown houses in North Tyneside are being turned in to new affordable homes after being bought by the council.
The properties, on Charlotte Street in Wallsend, had been vandalised and were left uninhabitable after much of the interiors were ripped out.
It comes as the council now has new powers to charge a higher council tax premium to discourage landlords who let their properties fall into disrepair.
Missing 87-year-old man believed to be in Amble
Police searching for an 87-year-old man who has been missing since Sunday believe he is in the Amble area of Northumberland.
Albert Gray has not been head from since leaving his house in Wideopen on Sunday morning.
Northumbria Police is increasingly concerned for his welfare.
It said it received a report he was seen getting off a bus at about 13:00 in Amble and heading towards the marina.
He is 5ft 10in, medium build, with short grey hair and is thought to be wearing a flat cap, black jacket and beige trousers and shoes.
NORTHUMBRIA POLICE
Football gossip: Newcastle United turned down during summer window
BBC Sport
Lille's 20-year-old France midfielder Boubakary Soumare rejected a large January offer from Newcastle in the hope of sealing a move to Liverpool or Manchester United in the summer window. (Le10sport - in French)
It has also also been reported Soumare turned down Newcastle because he wasn't impressed with the club's training facilities after he was shown them in a video phone call. (Mail)
ALLSPORT/Getty Images
Universities facing strike action
Andrea MacMillan
BBC Tees
Two North East universities are to be hit by industrial action.
The University and College Union says the University of Durham and Newcastle University will be affected by 14 days of strike action in February and March.
The action will start on 20 February and will escalate each week, culminating with a week-long walkout from March 9 to March 13.
The strikes are over pay, working conditions and rising pension costs.
Weather for the North East: Sunny spells and scattered showers in gusty winds
Lisa Gallagher
Weather presenter, BBC Look North
There'll be a few scattered showers early on, along with fresh to strong north-westerly winds.
As the day goes on it will then become dry with increasing sunny spells and the gusty winds will gradually ease.
Maximum temperatures should reach about 10C (50F).
News of a potential £340m takeover of Newcastle from Saudi Arabia has been greeted on the streets of Tyneside with excitement rather than any moral outcry.
He told BBC Newcastle the city, which remains in lockdown, is doing its best to get on with life.
Northumberland family returns to UK from coronavirus-hit Wuhan
Gerry Jackson
BBC Look North
A Northumberland man has arrived back in the UK with his daughter and Chinese wife, after leaving Wuhan, the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, the BBC has learned.
A few hundred people walked down Newcastle's Northumberland Street to Monument as part of a vigil tonight.
The symbolic nature of today, the fact Boris Johnson brought the Cabinet to Sunderland has emphasised the centrality of the North East in this whole debate.
And that won't go away because although we are leaving the European Union there is still to be settled our future trading relationship with our biggest trading partner in the region, the European Union.
There will be pressure from businesses like Nissan to have as close a relationship as almost we have now to make it as easy as possible for them to sell their cars, pressure perhaps from Conservative MPS in the region that if we are leaving a club we don't like being members of we shouldn't necessarily stick with the rules afterwards.
Boris Johnson's biggest challenge is to prove these people at the vigil wrong, that Brexit will not be an historic blunder that will leave us lagging behind, that it can be coupled with an opportunity to make life better and make us wealthier in places like the North East and Cumbria.
BBC
The woman who announced the beginning of Brexit
BBC Look North
North East and Cumbria
Sunderland was the first constituency to officially declare it wanted to leave the European Union.
The eyes of the nation were on Wearside that night in 2016 - and on the woman whose job it was to read out the result.
Sue Stanhope - then the head of HR at Sunderland Council - was invited to be the regional returning officer, placing her right at the heart of one of the country’s defining political events.
In an exclusive interview with BBC Look North she admits she felt the pressure of history in the making.
"A lot of the press had been about whatever happens in Sunderland pretty much is going to be an indication for the national vote," she says.
"Looking back at some of that footage I always get people commenting on my face.
"I tried to hide stuff, but it didn't quite work.
"I just felt disappointed."
BBC
Chancellor's description of the region takes a battering on Twitter
Brexit day was marked in the North East by an influx of government politicians who perhaps hadn't been expecting to have a cabinet meeting 300 miles north of where they normally have their cabinet meetings.
The National Glass Centre in Sunderland played host but Chancellor Sajid Javid's description of where he was going didn't go down too well on Twitter.
After he shared a photo of himself sitting on a train saying he was on his way to "north England", people were quick to mock.
"Just so you know, nobody in 'north England' calls it 'north England'.... happy to help," tweeted former Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, the MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale.
Anonymous author The Secret Barrister also responded: "Eee lad, we're off to that there North England."
A group of men who squirted a corrosive substance into the faces of two men are being sought by police.
The victims, who were approached outside the Cowgate and Blakelaw Royal British Legion Club in Newcastle, suffered eye and facial injuries.
It is not know what substance was used by the offenders, who then fled the scene in a car.
Anyone with information about the attack on Wednesday night is asked to contact Northumbria Police.
Attempted murder charge after Sunderland assault
A man has been charged with attempted murder following a street assault in Sunderland.
Police called to Claxheugh Road in South Hylton on Wednesday afternoon found a 29-year-old man with serious head injuries - he remains in hospital in a critical condition.
A 28-year-old local man has now been charged with attempted murder and will appear before South Tyneside Magistrates' Court later.
A second man, 25, who was assisting officers with their inquiries, has been released with no further action to be taken.
Newcastle residents 'have no danger of infection'
Chi Onwurah, Labour MP for Newcastle Central, has been speaking after the first cases of the coronavirus were diagnosed in the UK, with two people from the same family being treated in the city.
She said:
Newcastle's RVI is a national centre for the isolation and treatment of infectious diseases which works to the highest standards.
I have spoken with them and I have been assured that Newcastle residents have no danger of infection from these two patients now that they have been isolated, or in their journey to Newcastle.
I wish them the very best for a speedy recovery. I understand that NHS England are working to identify those who may have been exposed elsewhere.
Anyone who thinks they may have been exposed or has symptoms should dial 111."
What difference will Brexit make to day to day life?
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has brought his Cabinet to Sunderland's National Glass Centre for a gathering as part of Brexit day.
Downing Street said the city had been chosen because it was the first city in the country to vote to leave the EU in 2016.
Mr Johnson and his ministers will hold the meeting this afternoon, after which he will return to London to deliver a speech from 10 Downing Street.
Ahead of the meeting, Mr Johnson met workers during a visit to The Industry Centre at the University of Sunderland.
The UK officially leaves the EU at 23:00.
PA
Praise for MP helping family in virus-hit China
The father of a man who is stranded in virus-hit China has praised a local MP for his help.
Jeff Siddle, from Prudhoe, his Chinese wife Sindy and their daughter were supposed to return to the UK from China days ago.
However, the family was not allowed to fly together as Mrs Siddle, who is not a UK citizen but has a residency visa, was barred from leaving.
Guy Opperman, Conservative MP for Hexham, has been working with the Foreign Office to resolve the situation.
Mr Siddle's father Les, said: "This has been going on for days, lots of to-ing and fro-ing.
"Our MP Guy Opperman and his associates have been working very hard with the Foreign Office trying to get the Chinese authorities to change their minds and let Sindy come back with Jeff."
The two patients are currently being treated by Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in its specialist Airborne High Consequences Infectious Disease Centre (HCID).
It is understood that they travelled to the UK from China in recent days, had previously been staying at a hotel in Yorkshire.