England, United Kingdom

Latest Stories

Tobias French was nearly killed when a stranger tried to push him in front of a train.
Tobias French was nearly killed when a stranger tried to push him in front of an oncoming train.

Man arrested over abduction of boy, eight

Crime scene outside Burgess Park
A crime scene was in place in and around Burgess Park on Monday

A man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting an eight-year-old boy in Burgess Park in south-east London and kicking and spitting at the officers who tried to detain him.

Police were called to the park in Walworth after reports of a missing child at about 17:20 yesterday.

When officers found the boy, he was in the company of a man not known to him.

A 24-year-old man who was identified as the suspect, ran from police, resisted arrest and attacked officers by kicking and spitting at them.

He was eventually arrested on suspicion of kidnap, two counts of assault on police, common assault, failing to appear at court and for being wanted in relation to a separate matter outside of London.

He was taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody for questioning. The boy has since been reunited with his family.

London stabbing: 'He was my amazing brother'
Emotional tributes are paid to Cheyon Evans, 18, the 59th person killed in violence in London this year.

Two injured in separate London shootings

A teenager is fighting for his life in hospital after being shot in Tulse Hill on Sunday night.

Police were called to the Tulse Hill Estate at about 21:40 BST over reports of shots being fired.

Soon after a 17-year-old boy arrived in hospital in a critical condition where he remains.

In Leytonstone, a 28-year-old man was shot in Birch Grove at about 11:30.

He was taken to hospital by paramedics where his condition was assessed as non-life threatening.

Scotland Yard said no arrests had been made over either attack.

Two appear in court charged with Wandsworth stabbing

Police in Wandsworth

Two teenagers have appeared in court charged with the murder of an 18-year-old youth who was stabbed to death in south-west London.

Mohamed Nadir Dafallah, 18, of Wandsworth, and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, spoke to confirm their personal details when they appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court.

They are charged with the murder of 18-year-old Cheyon Evans who died in Deeside Road in Wandsworth on Friday afternoon.

Mr Dafallah and the 17 year-old were ordered to next appear in custody at the Old Bailey on Wednesday.

A pre-trial preparation hearing was also set for July 15.

Grenfell Tower fire: Survivors and families mark second anniversary
Londoners remember the devastation of the Grenfell Tower fire across the capital.

Fire at two houses in Croydon

View more on twitter

The brigade were called to the blaze in Croham Valley Road at 11:35 BST.

One man has been treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

The cause of the fire is not known at this stage, London Fire Brigade said.

Damaged houses

Part-time roles offered to police officers

Getty Images

New police constable recruits will be able to join the service in a part-time role, the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) has announced

From November, new recruits will be able to complete their police training part-time and hit the streets of London in a part-time role.

The Met believes it is the first police service in the UK to make this offer and hopes it will make the role more attractive to those who may consider a career in policing but feel unable to because of family or other commitments.

“The case for doing this was clear - we know that one of the obstacles stopping some people from fulfilling their dream of becoming a police officer has been the lack of flexibility in how they have to train and balance their family life. We will continue to break down barriers where we know they exist, as we strive to open up a career in policing with the Met to even more people."

Cressida DickCommissioner

MP helps force Snapchat to reveal details of ‘sick’ messages

Inside Croydon

Croydon South’s MP Chris Philp has successfully managed to get an American-based internet giant to release information which could prove vitally important in a police investigation into “sick” harassment and threats made online against the family of a teenaged murder victim.

Full story

Plans to redevelop Croydon's oldest furniture store revealed

Local Democracy Reporting Service

House of Reeves
Google Maps

Croydon’s oldest furniture shop has vowed to stay in the borough as initial plans for the redevelopment of it’s iconic store have been revealed.

House of Reeves was opened more than 150 years ago and has been in the Reeves family for five generations, since 1867.

It is based in Reeves Corner which is named after the store and was taken over by brothers Graham and Tony Reeves in 1995.

Their father, Maurice died last month, aged 88 years old, after a short battle with pneumonia.

But plans to redevelop the site will not see the historic business leave the borough, vows Trevor.

Proposals are being put forward by developers Skillcrown and include 32 new homes in a mix of one, two and three-bedroom apartments and maisonettes.

But Trevor says that plans are not yet set in stone yet and the company does not have plans to move away from Croydon.

“Skillcrown came to use with a development plan so we said we’ll see what we can do,” said Mr Reeves.

“It is still very much a discussion.”

In 2011 one of the company’s buildings, also in Reeves Corners was burnt down. It became one of the most recognisable images of the 2011 riots.

The company moved down to one site and since the fire the second site has been empty.

Mr Reeves said moving the store there could be an option for the future of the business.

Barking fire: 'The whole thing was an inferno'
Twenty flats were destroyed and another 10 have been damaged after a fire engulfed a building in east London.